Aromatherapy is a therapeutic treatment that revolves around the application of natural oils to alleviate certain physical ailments and at the same time relax states of anxiety and stress . An alternative therapy that considerably improves both physical and mental health.
In the West it has become fashionable for just a few years. However, it is a practice that dates back several thousand years. Aeromatherapy was already used in 4,500 BC in China.
Numerous civilizations have made use of this treatment throughout history, such as the Egyptian; they used essential oils to embalm the dead. Also in Ancient Greece aromatherapy lived a time of great splendor; Highly reputed doctors such as Hippocrates used the oils to treat certain ailments in their patients.
Health benefits of aromatherapy
Here are the main benefits of aromatherapy for general health and well-being. A very effective therapy to treat certain ailments, but at the same time it has a very positive influence on mood.
There are many experts who point out that stress is the great disease of the 21st century. Well, aromatherapy is a great treatment to relieve states of stress and anxiety , ending such common problems as insomnia and depression, among others. It provides a great mental , spiritual and physical balance , thus helping to release tension and achieve a great feeling of calm.
Aromatherapy consists of the application of essential oils through different methods. Well, these oils have great properties for the respiratory system . Thus, this treatment is very effective in treating all types of infections and diseases such as asthma ; aromatherapy does not cure asthma, but it does significantly help improve and relieve your symptoms.
The natural oils that are applied in aromatherapy have both analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties . Thus, its uses are very broad: treating muscle aches, alleviating the symptoms of migraines and headaches, improving gastrointestinal discomfort …
Essential oils can be applied through baths, poultices or massages. Well, in these cases, they are of great help to combat certain dermatological infections such as acne or psoriasis . This therapy is also beneficial to hide scars and blemishes present on the skin.
One of the best known properties of the oils used during aromatherapy is the antioxidant . Thus, this treatment very effectively fights the aging of both cells and skin.
One of the main benefits of aromatherapy is that it significantly enhances the body’s natural defenses . Thus, it is more and better prepared to deal with certain diseases such as the flu or cold, among others.
Oils used in aromatherapy
An aromatherapy session revolves around the application of natural oils; These act on the body until reaching the nervous system . Thus, each of the oils has a series of properties and health benefits.
- Almonds: almond oil is one of the most used in this treatment since it is the one that works best to reduce and relieve pain. When the nervous system perceives the aroma of this fruit, it begins to secrete serotonin , known as the hormone of happiness.
- Geranium: another of the essential oils most used in aromatherapy sessions. It helps significantly to reduce anxiety and stress.
- Rosa: a natural oil that favors the conciliation of sleep and that, therefore, is used in those patients with insomnia. In addition, it helps to combat fatigue and relieve sadness.
- Ginger : the aroma of ginger has great health benefits; improves circulation, prevents dizziness and relieves symptoms of illnesses such as the flu or cold.
- Lavender: one of the most effective essential oils to reduce anxiety levels and muscle aches. When applied as a massage or poultice, it soothes irritated skin and reduces scarring.
If you want to know how to use essential oils to take care of your skin and face, visit this article .
What is an aromatherapy treatment like?
Currently, there are many therapeutic centers that offer aromatherapy sessions . There are those who consider that it is a simple massage based on essential oils; Nothing could be further from the truth. During the session you should pay the utmost attention to your feelings and sensations in relation to the aromas; It is therefore a spiritual experience with great benefits for both physical and mental health.
First, the specialist takes a medical history on the patient’s health status ; For this, it is based on various factors such as chronic diseases, medications that you consume … Thus, depending on the history, it uses specific oils and guides the session to calm its ailments.
Before starting the actual therapy, the specialist exfoliates the patient’s skin ; in this way it removes impurities and dead cells so that the oils penetrate the skin more easily.
He then proceeds to create the ideal environment for relaxation of both the body and the mind; light some candles and put on music with sounds of nature.
This is how the aromatherapy session begins. The most common is to use five oils during the session, which can be applied in different ways.
- Inhalation : it is the most basic method and works wonders to treat ailments that affect the respiratory system in some way; The application of essential oils by inhalation can also be beneficial for certain skin problems.
- Massage: the essential oils are melted with some lotion or water and a massage is carried out with the mixture. Perfect for muscle and joint contractures and ailments.
- Aromatic baths: to activate relaxation and relax both the body and the mind, during the aromatherapy session the specialist can fill the tub with hot water and apply a few drops of essential oils.
- Poultices: both hot and cold, essential oil poultices are great for treating muscle problems in different areas of the body.
Although aromatherapy is one of the treatments with the greatest number of benefits for the general health of the body, there are also a number of contraindications that are worth knowing.
In the first place, in no case is it advisable to apply natural oils in their pure state on the skin ; if so, the risk of burns is very high. That is why in the centers where this therapy is offered, essential oils are diluted in others known as bases.
Second, aromatherapy is not a suitable treatment for pregnant women because the oils can lead to contractions of the uterus, which poses a high risk of premature pregnancy.
Third, it is important to inform the specialist if there is any allergy to the products that are going to be used during the session. Do not forget that although they are 100% natural products, they can also cause allergic reactions.
Aromatherapy is one of the treatments with the greatest number of followers at the moment. The oils are absorbed by the capillaries, so that they are transported throughout the body; a process that lasts around 20 minutes. These oils are considered a holistic healing method , which has important benefits for both the mind and the body.
The most important thing to enjoy a good aromatherapy session is to go to a trusted center, with professionals specialized in this treatment.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.