The ceviche is a traditional dish of certain countries in Central and South America, such as Peru, which in recent years has gained tremendous popularity worldwide. In general terms, it is a preparation of fish or shellfish marinated in a citrus-based dressing.
It stands out especially in its nutritional aspect for being very low in calories and high in proteins of great biological value. As it is prepared with lemon and vegetables, in addition to fish, its fat content is minimal. A great plate to maintain the figure.
It bears a certain similarity to the marinade of Spanish origin . It is generally prepared from fish or chicken, which are first fried and then marinated in a mixture of vinegar, onion, olive oil and spices.
Ceviche as it is known today was born after the arrival of the Spanish to America . And it is that two of the key ingredients of this dish, the onion and the lemon, came from the hands of the slaves.
Below we point out some of the main curiosities of ceviche, which are interesting to know.
- Origin: there are currently two widespread theories about the origin of this dish. The first of them indicates that it dates back several thousand years, from the hand of the Mochica culture of Peru, which already prepared raw fish with the juice of some citrus fruit. And the second is that the Arabs took the recipe to Spain and, from there, it traveled to Central and South America.
- Cultural Heritage of the Nation: in Peru, ceviche is considered Cultural Heritage of the Nation due to the great importance that this dish has in the country’s gastronomy.
- Citrus: initially sour orange juice was used for its preparation. However, today the most common is to prepare ceviche with lemon juice.
Ceviche is a very healthy dish, which provides proteins of high biological value , which are very beneficial for people of all ages. Its ingredients have a great nutritional contribution.
Fish is its main ingredient, rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamins A, D, E, K and minerals such as phosphorus, zinc, selenium, iodine and potassium , among others. In addition, it is a very easy to digest food and, in the case of adults, it helps both prevent and reduce high cholesterol.
Regarding its caloric intake, the dish provides between 400 and 500 calories , with easily digestible carbohydrates , such as those found in sweet potatoes and corn.
Health benefits of ceviche
Ceviche is a dish with a great selection of benefits, which favors the proper functioning of the immune system. The lemon is one of the most important ingredients of this dish, noted for its contribution of vitamin C . A natural antioxidant that plays a leading role in collagen formation and helps skin appear healthier.
Also onion is an antibiotic and a natural antiseptic , which protects and cleans the respiratory tract. In addition, in case of the common cold, it relieves symptoms significantly.
Of course, fish provides proteins of high biological value , as well as polyunsaturated fatty acids, minerals and vitamins.
In general, ceviche reduces the risk of arrhythmias , lowers triglyceride levels, prevents the formation of blood clots and favors tissue regeneration and wound healing.
Fish is the main ingredient in this dish, which has a wide range of benefits and properties for the proper functioning of the body. It is very rich in protein and also contains vitamin D , which is essential to keep the bone system in good condition . Fish is very rich in minerals and Omega 3 fatty acids ; the latter is an essential nutrient to protect the heart from certain cardiovascular diseases, such as myocardial infarction .
Another of the most important ingredients in ceviche. Rich in vitamin C , it strengthens the immune system , so that it is better prepared to deal with disorders such as the flu or the cold. In addition, lemon is rich in antioxidants , so it helps prevent premature aging of both skin and cells.
Onion is one of the best ingredients out there to maintain blood glucose levels. One of its main health benefits is that it strengthens the digestive system , while taking care of cardiovascular health thanks to its high content of vitamins, minerals and flavonoids.
Salt is an essential ingredient for maintaining blood pressure at its proper levels.
Coriander is a natural herb with a large number of properties for both physical and mental health. It stimulates the nervous system and improves mental performance , so its consumption is indicated for people of all ages.
A food rich in B vitamins , which helps maintain the nervous system in good health. In addition, its high fiber content makes it a food that favors intestinal transit, preventing diseases such as constipation .
An energy food very rich in vitamin A, so that it helps in skin care, in addition to strengthening the immune system and improving eyesight. Thanks to its high content of antioxidants, it is very beneficial in preventing cell aging.
Ceviche recipe step by step
- 400 grams of fresh white fish in fillets: sole, salmon, tuna, hake or sea bass.
- 3 sprigs of coriander
- 1 medium-sized red onion
- 1 chili pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 8 sour lemons
- To begin with the preparation of the ceviche, the fresh fish is washed and two-centimeter cuts are made to the fillets.
- The fish is placed in a glass bowl and stirred carefully so as not to damage it.
- Then add a pinch of salt, the onion cut into julienne strips, the red pepper in strips, the chopped coriander and a pinch of pepper. All the ingredients are mixed delicately.
- Lemons are squeezed; Better to do it by hand so as not to press too hard on the skin and not to release too much resin, thus avoiding souring the ceviche. The juice is strained and added to the fish.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it at room temperature to cook in its juice before serving.
The ceviche is a dish that in recent years has gained a great reputation internationally. As we have pointed out, the dish consists of raw fish marinated in lemon juice and different vegetables. Thanks to its flavor and its nutritional properties, it has managed to conquer the palate of millions of people.
Despite the great benefits of ceviche, as with sushi, there is a small risk with raw fish . Therefore, its consumption is not recommended in pregnant women or those with a compromised immune system, such as HIV patients.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.