Currently, gender equity is defined as the grouping of beliefs, ideas and values that have to do with sexual differences, equality, gender and justice between women and men. The primary objective consists of equal opportunities between both genders in the different sectors encompassed in society.
The Dictionary of the Spanish Language collects it as “a quality that consists in giving everyone what they deserve based on their merits or conditions . ” That is to say, it is about not benefiting one person to disadvantage another because of being a woman or a man.
What is gender equity?
When we talk about this type of equity, the experts are basically referring to the suppression of any kind of discrimination between women and men. That is, not helping or giving a more favorable treatment to the male sex over the female in their social and personal environment. This was a fact that happened some time ago in our society, but, little by little, it is changing.
Next, we explain all the aspects related to this concept and its nuances so that you have more information on this topic.
Requirements for this equity class
First of all , you have to bear in mind that gender equality is based on the fact that all kinds of opportunity and responsibility can be obtained by anyone, regardless of whether they are a woman or a man.
The necessary requirements for this maxim to be applied are, firstly, equal opportunities; and, secondly, it consists of establishing various conditions to be able to benefit from these opportunities.
And you will ask yourself: how are these opportunities created? Starting from the idea of creating new models of opportunities that already exist and sharing them fairly between women and men.
The purpose is that both must have the same possibilities to progress in the personal and professional aspect, that is, to continue growing as people and feel fulfilled; and, ultimately, be happy. For this, the governments are in charge of ensuring, with all the guarantees, that all the necessary means are distributed proportionally between the two parties.
Ultimately , it is about both women and men being treated fairly when it comes to addressing their shortcomings. Although the treatment may be different, it must be done with equality when applying the benefits, obligations, rights and opportunities for both genders.
Types of gender equity
You can find gender equality in different areas of our social reality, such as culture, education, work and your own personal life. As you well know, in any of these spheres there can be occasions for both equality and gender inequality.
The points on which they have been working for a long time to normalize this situation are those that refer to wage inequality , the distribution of unbalanced tasks, sexual harassment of women and the denial of jobs for women, among the most important . In the latter case, we refer to the loss of possibilities to access the labor market due to the fact of becoming pregnant, being married or having children.
The different types of gender equity cover various domains. We list them below, depending on the context.
One of the best known examples that, surely, you have lived or live is the distribution of housework, one of the workhorses of women for decades. Normally, this role is associated with women in a natural way, which excludes men from them, due to long-established cultural reasons. It is simply a matter of equating these tasks with normality and without distinction of gender.
As you well know, in most countries, political power is held by men. In the democracies of some of them they are aware that this fact causes a very important social imbalance and they have reacted by introducing new rules to correct it. The most important ones refer to parity electoral lists , in which the number of members and their rights is equal on both sides, and the incorporation of women to positions in the public sectors.
Currently, the educational programs of schools include classes and activities for children, in which they explain the why and why of these principles . In this way , from a very young age, they learn to practice the same opportunities; so that, when they are adults, they have them integrated into their lives normally.
Some more advanced countries have long included a culture of fairness at work . But, as you well know, there are still many other countries where change is very slow.
At work , women have the right to receive the same salary if they carry out the same occupations as men. In addition, you must receive the same economic amount, depending on your merits and without favoring one party more than the other. This implies the same responsibilities and obligations.
An important detail is that both your rights for equality and equity are compatible. The best example is the one referring to the duration of maternity leave. In the case of women, time is superior; while, in man, the duration time is different. This is what is called positive discrimination between both sexes for biological reasons.
Differences between equity and gender equality
Both one and the other are two words that seem to mean the same thing, but they do not. The two are related and go hand in hand, but it is necessary to clarify the differences, for their better understanding.
As we have explained so far, equity recognizes that women and men are different and opportunities will be created with the particular characteristics of each one in mind .
Women and men, regardless of their biological peculiarities , we can access the benefit of all the services and goods that society offers us with justice and equality in all sectors of life. Gender equality tells us about the idea that women and men are equal in both rights and opportunities. The reality is not like that, since the opportunities depend on the economic, social, political, ethnic and cultural situations of each person.
To finish this point, we remind you of what the UN indicates regarding gender equality : «Gender equality implies equality at all levels of education and in all areas of work, equitable control of resources and representation the same in public and political life.
10 principles of gender equity and equality
Some of the principles are:
- Choose freely who you want to marry.
- Free choice when choosing the type of partner, regardless of gender.
- Freedom in your sexual and partner orientation.
- Freedom to decide what you want to do with your body, without prejudice.
- The same opportunity to join the Armed Forces and hold the same positions.
- The possibility of women to occupy high positions or preside over high positions in organizations.
- Free choice on money management, as well as the purchase of items without prior authorization of the opposite gender.
- The free choice of any ideology or religion to which they want to belong.
- The free choice of the type of institution and educational program they want to join, regardless of their gender.
- The free choice of the type of work they want to carry out and time of dedication.
Major Equity Events
These are some of the most important events held in recent years:
- 1978: the Spanish Constitution elaborates and approves article 14, which states the following: «Spaniards are equal before the Law, without any discrimination based on birth, race, sex, religion, opinion or any other reason. personal or social condition or circumstance ».
- 1982: The Committee for the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women is created and, in recommendation 19, it is clarified that all violence exercised against women is discrimination.
- 1993: a demonstration is held in which thousands of people mobilized to force the World Conference on Human Rights to take a position in favor of Women’s Rights. As a result of this act, article 18 was established , in which it is clear that “ all human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights without any distinction of race, color, sex, language, religion, political opinion or of any other. other nature, national or social origin, economic position, birth or any other condition ”.
The principles of gender equity establish new ways of relating to women and men. They provide our society with advantages to evolve towards a more balanced world in all aspects. We encourage you to continue applying them in your life.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.