The hardness and solidity of the nails depend to a great extent on the quality of the production of the protein keratin, which allows to keep the nails healthy and strong. However, there are many factors that can alter the keratin and consequently cause the nails to become brittle, flake, split in layers or break extremely easily. When this condition turns into a disease and constitutes a health problem, it is called onychorrhexis. To talk about the causes of soft and weak nails , we must differentiate between the medical problems that can cause it and external factors:
- Medical problems: diseases that can affect the nail surface and cause brittleness, such as hypothyroidism, psoriasis , fungi ( onychomycosis ), lichen planus , iron deficiency anemia , Raynaud’s disease or deficiencies of vitamins A, B, C, D and folic acid in the feeding.
- External factors: prolonged and excessive contact of the nails with water, dryness due to cold, heat or dust, contact with soaps, detergents and chemical products, subjecting the nails to excessive manicures, filing or polishing techniques and enamels and aggressive nail polish removers.
The best home remedies to harden nails
Fragile and brittle nails are characterized by being very fine and having very little resistance, breaking at the slightest touch or blow. There are natural products that, when the nails are healthy, can strengthen them and give them strength thanks to their nourishing and repairing properties. Next, we show which are the most effective home remedies to harden nails naturally.
Garlic and olive oil
Although its strong smell can be somewhat unpleasant, garlic is one of the best natural remedies to strengthen existing nails. It is a food with sulfur compounds and very powerful antioxidant and antibiotic properties, so in addition to hardening the nails, it prevents infections by fungi or other germs. For its part, olive oil nourishes and hydrates the nails from the inner layers.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- a clean, empty clear enamel jar.
Treatment: crush or crush the garlic cloves and pour the liquid obtained and the olive oil into an enamel jar. Apply this homemade hardener on the nails twice a day.
Apple cider vinegar has antifungal properties, being excellent for preventing and treating fungus, and contains excellent acids, vitamins and minerals to strengthen brittle nails and prevent them from being damaged and broken to a minimum.
- 20 ml apple cider vinegar
- 20 ml of water
- 1 small container
Treatment: pour the same amount of apple cider vinegar and water into the container. Dip your nails in the solution for about 10 minutes.
In the same way as garlic, the aroma of the onion is not very pleasant but its composition is perfect for the nails to be much stronger and healthier. This is mainly due to its content of sulfur, vitamin E and iron.
- 1 medium onion
Treatment: chop the onion and grind it until the juice is obtained. Apply the onion juice on the nails with the help of gauze or a cotton pad and leave for about 10 minutes. Repeat the procedure about three times a week and preferably at night.
Horsetail not only offers magnificent diuretic properties, but also has high amounts of silica, a mineral that hardens the nails, prevents them from breaking and promotes their growth, thus helping to show off more beautiful manicured hands.
- 1 handful of horsetail leaves
- a glass of water
Treatment: boil the water, place the horsetail leaves in a container and pour the water into it. Wait about 5 minutes and then soak the nails in the preparation for 10 minutes.
Chamomile and mint
These two medicinal plants are perfect for combating nail problems such as dehydration , flaking and weakness. They manage to improve their appearance in a very short time.
- 2 tablespoons chamomile
- 5 mint leaves
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- a cup of water
Treatment: boil the cup of water, add the chamomile and mint and let it rest for 10 minutes. Add the olive oil and soak the nails in the solution for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Natural oils to harden nails
- Almond oil: its great moisturizing power, in addition to being beneficial for the skin and hair, is incredible for keeping nails strong, healthy and nourished at all times.
- Castor oil: it is rich in vitamin E, ideal for nourishing nails and fighting dryness that can cause breakage.
- Coconut oil : its saturated fat deeply hydrates the nails and prevents them from weakening so easily.
For its application, a piece of cotton should be soaked with the selected oil and passed over the surface of the nails, giving a gentle massage.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.