The truth is that hemorrhoids are a disease that is hardly talked about, but that many people suffer; It is estimated that three out of every four adults will suffer from piles at some point in their life. They are small varicose veins located in the anal canal , which are caused by excessive pressure from the veins in the lower rectum or anus. Anyone can get hemorrhoids, although they occur more frequently in adults and the elderly.
In this eHealth article we will talk about the best home remedies for hemorrhoids, but first we must see what a hemorrhoid is and how to recognize it.
What are hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids, also known as piles, are one of the most common diseases among the adult population. Despite being a condition that in the vast majority of cases is not serious, it is very annoying.
It is an inflammation in the veins of the rectum and anus , the causes of which are very varied. There are two types of hemorrhoids.
On the one hand , internal hemorrhoids , which, as their name suggests, are located inside the rectum. They are the most difficult to detect given their location; in addition, they hardly generate annoyances. These types of piles are detected in advanced stages, when the stool damages its surface and causes anal bleeding.
On the other hand, external hemorrhoids , which are located under the skin that surrounds the anus. This type of piles is very annoying, generating a great itching and burning sensation.
- Hereditary factors: there is a greater risk of suffering from piles if there is a family history of this condition.
- Age: hemorrhoids occur more frequently in people over 50 years old, since from that age the tissues that support the veins in both the rectum and the anus tend to weaken and narrow.
- Constipation : it is one of the main causes of hemorrhoids. Hard, dry stools press on the veins of the anus and rectum.
- Diarrhea – Excessive diarrhea can also lead to piles due to irritation of the rectum and anus.
- Pregnancy: pregnant women are precisely one of the population groups that most frequently suffer from this disease. It happens especially during the last weeks of the gestation period due to the increased pressure that the uterus exerts on the hemorrhoidal veins.
- Overweight: excess fat in the abdomen area also puts significant pressure on the veins in the anus and rectum area.
- Diet: a diet very low in fiber is one of the factors that most favors the appearance of hemorrhoids.
The symptoms of piles are very broad. Generally, the inflammation of the veins of the rectum and anus give rise to a great sensation of itching and burning in the area , as well as pain or discomfort. Also, on visual exam, the area around the anus appears swollen.
In some cases, hemorrhoids can cause anal bleeding . This is usually mild, in the form of small bright red blobs of blood on the toilet paper.
It is precisely the bleeding when evacuating one of the main warning signs, for which the vast majority of patients go to the doctor.
However, it is worth remembering that it should not be taken for granted that anal bleeding is due to piles, especially in people over 40 years of age. This symptom is also typical of other diseases, including tumors of the colon and anus. Therefore, it is important to consult your doctor if bleeding is observed along with other symptoms, such as a change in color or consistency in the stool.
Diagnosis and treatment
When a patient goes to the doctor with the symptoms described in the previous section, if it is external hemorrhoids, he can diagnose the condition with a simple visual examination. In case of internal hemorrhoids, a digital rectal examination is necessary .
Once the hemorrhoids are diagnosed, sometimes it is enough to follow a series of guidelines so that they disappear. On the one hand, the application of topical treatments for hemorrhoids ; These contain hydrocortisone and lidocaine to relieve pain and itching. On the other hand, take a sitz bath by immersing the anal area in warm water for 15 minutes three times a day. In addition, it is essential to keep the anal area completely clean. And finally, avoid using dry toilet paper.
If a patient presents with large or very recurrent hemorrhoids, one of the most effective treatment options is surgery. It is a procedure known as a hemorrhoidectomy ; It consists of removing the excess tissue that is causing the bleeding.
Tips to prevent hemorrhoids
There are a series of tips and advice that are worth taking into account to avoid the appearance of hemorrhoids as much as possible.
- As we have pointed out, one of the main causes of inflammation of the veins of the rectum and anus is constipation. Therefore, it is advisable to follow a diet rich in fiber , with a relatively high consumption of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. In this way, the stool softens and the frequency of bowel movements increases.
- The hydration is also a key factor, so it is advisable to drink at the least two liters of water a day.
- When evacuating, avoid using too much force as this creates great pressure on the veins in the lower part of the rectum.
- It is necessary to go to the bathroom as soon as you feel the need to evacuate. Waiting can cause stool to dry out and be more difficult to pass.
- The exercise is a great ally against hemorrhoids because it reduces the pressure on the veins of the rectum and anus.
- And finally, as far as possible it is advisable to avoid spending too much time sitting because it can increase the pressure on the veins in the anal area.
Home remedies for hemorrhoids
There is a large selection of very effective home remedies to treat hemorrhoids. It is worth noting that alleviating this condition may take a few days, so it is important to be consistent and be patient. These remedies are very effective in calming the symptoms of hemorrhoids.
Aloe vera is one of the plants that has the most properties for the skin, hence it is one of the most widely used home remedies to treat a large selection of conditions, such as hemorrhoids. Helps relieve itching and burning, as well as reduce inflammation.
You must acquire an aloe vera leaf and open it with the help of a knife. Extract the gel that is inside and apply directly on the hemorrhoids; It is convenient to do it just after evacuating, with the area well cleaned before applying the aloe vera gel.
This is one of the folk remedies that works best to treat hemorrhoids in a totally natural way . In addition, its application is very simple.
You should buy a bunch of chard in good condition, wash it well and let it cool in the fridge. You simply have to place several chard leaves in the anal area three or four times a day.
Potatoes are an ingredient that helps significantly to alleviate the symptoms of hemorrhoids; They help reduce the burning sensation and reduce inflammation in the anal area.
Preparation and application is very easy. You should scratch a potato and then wrap it in a tissue and apply to the area. You can repeat this process as many times as you need to alleviate the discomfort.
The Chamomile is one of the most commonly used home remedies to treat hemorrhoids in a home.
To apply it, you must prepare an infusion of chamomile. To do this, boil half a liter of water in a saucepan and, when it reaches its boiling point, add a handful of chamomile leaves. Let cook for a couple of minutes over low heat, remove and strain. Let the infusion cool for about five minutes and place it in a basin. Then, do a sitz bath in it. You will notice a feeling of instant relief.
Tomato is a 100% natural ingredient with cooling and astringent properties.
To treat hemorrhoids you must cut a slice of a cold ripe tomato. Then, you just have to place it directly on the area affected by hemorrhoids, making light pressure. Let it work for 15 minutes and wash the area with plenty of cold water.
Spinach and oil
This is a natural remedy that works very well to reduce the swelling of hemorrhoids as it has an extremely relaxing effect.
As ingredients you need three spinach leaves and a tablespoon of olive oil. Mix both ingredients until you get a smooth paste. Then, apply a small amount of this paste around the anal opening. Let it act for 20 minutes and remove with plenty of cold water.
And finally, the simplest home remedy of all and also one of the ones that works the best.
You simply have to do with an ice bag and wrap it in a clean cotton cloth. Place it in the anal area and let it act for a few minutes. You will feel an almost instantaneous sense of relief. You should avoid placing the ice cubes directly on the skin because they can cause burns.
Hemorrhoids are a type of condition that can be treated at home if they do not cause serious symptoms such as anal bleeding. We recommend taking these home remedies into account because they give very good results. All are very effective, so which one to use basically depends on the tastes and preferences of each person.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.