The high hemoglobin , is a problem that, despite being unknown, the fact is that is very important, should learn and be conscious about what is and what can assume have a high level of hemoglobin .
What is high hemoglobin and what does it mean?
L hemoglobin is a protein found inside red blood cells . That is, in the blood. Hemoglobin fulfills the function of joining oxygen and transporting it from the alveoli of the lungs to the other tissues of the body.
The characteristic color of blood is due to the fact that the Heme group (which is the center of this protein) has iron, which has this characteristic color.
In general, blood hemoglobin values vary from person to person , as well as from laboratory to laboratory. But it is generally assumed that levels between 12 and 15 g / dL are normal in most of the population.
However, women, especially when they are of menstruation age, have slightly lower values than men (between half and 1 g / dL less).
On the other hand, another concept that must be known is that of ” hematocrit “. Hematocrit is the percentage of red blood cells in the blood . For example, 40% of the blood is red blood cells, while the rest is plasma, white blood cells, and platelets.
What Causes High Hemoglobin?
Having clarified the above, we can go on to see some of the causes of high hemoglobin. Here I detail the most common:
- Smoking : Smoking causes damage to the alveolar level, which leads to a state of continuous hypoxemia. Hypoxemia is the absence of enough oxygen. To counteract this effect, the body produces more red blood cells and more hemoglobin in the blood, thereby increasing the availability of oxygen in the tissues.
- Dehydration : Dehydration can also elevate hemoglobin temporarily, since the amount of plasma in the blood decreases and, consequently, the proportion of hemoglobin in the blood is higher.
- Congenital heart disease : This heart disease can also cause hypoxemia and consequently high hemoglobin. If the congenital heart disease can be corrected, the problem is solved (although it is not always possible).
- Pulmonary hypertension : Pulmonary hypertension causes a reduction in available oxygen and again, as a consequence, hemoglobin and hematocrit rise. However, it should be noted that pulmonary hypertension should not be confused with essential systemic hypertension.
- Pulmonary fibrosis: Pulmonary fibrosis is a chronic pathology that leads to hypoxemia and, as a response of the body, leads to a compensatory elevation of hemoglobin. Pulmonary fibrosis has multiple causes.
- Polycythemia vera : This is a disease of the bone marrow, which leads to an uncontrolled increase in blood cells, which causes hemoglobin, hematocrit and red blood cell count to increase.
- Altitude : Altitude also affects hemoglobin, since, at sea level, there is 21% oxygen in the air. However, at 5000 meters the concentration is only 11%. People who live at high altitudes have the highest hemoglobin to make up for the lack of oxygen.
What are the risks involved in having it elevated?
Depends. In general, high hemoglobin is related to an increase in red blood cells , which leads to problems in the viscosity of the blood. And, in turn, that thicker blood can lead to circulation problems.
In addition, that thicker blood can also lead to small thrombi , which can be very problematic in some cases (in others, it is a problem that resolves itself).
In general, be very careful with high hemoglobin, since although really serious problems are rare, the truth is that they can be lethal.
Thus, among the serious risks that appear with high blood hemoglobin, are brain , kidney , liver microinfarcts , or transient ischemic attacks , strokes or heart attacks.
In addition, although one of these problems does not appear acutely, the truth is that tissues can be damaged by progressive damage through chronic ischemias.
Treatment for high hemoglobin
The treatment to lower high hemoglobin is bleeding. It doesn’t sound good, but it is the best way to lower your hemoglobin and hematocrit . That is why, in general, patients suffering from this ailment are recommended to donate blood .
In the event that the patient is addicted to tobacco, it is recommended that they abandon that addiction, and, in some cases, it is recommended to change their place of residence to enjoy other areas with more oxygen.
However, it will always be advisable to go to a doctor so that he can analyze the problem in depth and give the best solution among all the possible ones. Your health is the most important!
As you can see, high hemoglobin is a problem to be aware of, even if it is a relatively unknown topic. Being aware of what it is and the consequences of suffering it can be very positive for your health.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.