The lice are tiny insects that attack the hair, usually smaller. The female lice lay about eight daily nit, which later also become lice.
That is why it is so important to apply home remedies to eliminate lice as soon as possible.
What are lice?
Head lice are wingless insects between two and three millimeters that, as their name suggests, lodge in people’s hair and feed on small amounts of blood . They are a very common problem in children, although they can also occur in young people and adults.
Although they are not serious for health and are not dangerous, they are extremely contagious . In addition, they are very annoying since they generate a great itch, which “forces” the affected person to scratch, with the potential risk of irritation and infection.
Lice can survive up to thirty days on a person’s head. Time during which it can lay eight eggs a day. Its reproduction speed is very fast, so it is important to use home remedies to remove lice as soon as possible.
Types of lice
A total of three different types of lice are differentiated.
- Head lice: appear on the scalp and are the most common of all. In general, it is easier to detect them on the ears and on the neck.
- Body lice: they lodge both in clothes and in bedding, from where they pass to the skin in search of food. They are common in those who cannot bathe or wash their clothes for a long period of time.
- Pubic lice: better known as crabs, they appear both on the skin and on the pubic hair. Sometimes they can also appear in thicker body hair, in areas such as the chest or eyebrows, although it is not very frequent.
Causes of lice
Lice cannot fly or capacity on the ground, so the contagion occurs by direct contact.
- Contact between heads: when children play, they sometimes tend to bring their heads closer to those of other children. A potential risk of getting head lice.
- Personal objects: one of the most common transmission routes is personal objects that are shared, such as combs, plush toys, blankets or pillows, among others.
- Contaminated furniture: Lying in a bed that has previously been laid by a person with lice is a risk factor.
- Sexual contact: pubic lice are transmitted sexually, being more common in young people.
How do they spread?
As we have pointed out, lice cannot fly or jump. These insects can survive up to two days without any type of food, so contagion can occur through the use of personal objects of an infected person: pillows, sheets, combs, etc.
Although there is a tendency to believe that lice affect only those children with poor hygiene, the truth is that contagion has nothing to do with hygiene . Schools and summer camps are two of the places where the highest number of infections occur. The main reason is that children tend to play together and share things.
It is completely impossible to get lice from a pet . These insects are species-specific, so a person cannot get lice from their pet, in the same way that a pet cannot get lice from the person in question.
Head lice are relatively easy to detect as they cause a number of very noticeable symptoms. The most common of all is intense itching , which requires frequent scratching of the scalp. In addition, those who have lice on their scalp feel a tickle all over their hair.
At the slightest sign of lice, it is advisable to resort to one of the home remedies to end them. Intense and constant scratching of the scalp can lead to flaking and wound formation.
Best home remedies to get rid of lice
There is a wide range of chemicals that allow to eliminate lice. However, they contain a large selection of toxins that significantly damage the scalp. Thus, it is best to opt for home remedies, made with 100% natural ingredients.
- Garlic: Garlic is one of the best remedies to say goodbye to lice once and for all, in both adults and children. You just have to crush a head of garlic and mix it with a liter of water. Then, it is applied to the scalp and a plastic cap is placed to enhance the effect. It is left to act overnight.
- Apple cider vinegar: this is perhaps the most popular home remedy to get rid of lice. You just have to mix equal parts hot water and vinegar, and apply to dry hair.
- Olive oil: olive oil can be of great help to eliminate these insects from the hair, both in children and in adults. It is as simple as applying a generous amount to the scalp and covering with a plastic cap. It is left to act all night. The next morning the hair is washed and a special lice comb is passed through the mane.
- Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise is a very good homemade solution because it suffocates the lice and also makes removing the nits easier. The hair is covered with mayonnaise, a plastic cap is placed and it is left to act for several hours. After the time has elapsed, rinse and remove the insects with a fine-toothed comb.
- Rue: rue is a very effective natural ingredient for removing lice. For its preparation you just have to add several rue leaves to a liter of boiling water. When the infusion is ready, it is applied to the scalp with gentle circular massages, covered with a cap. It is left to act for several leaves and then rinsed.
- Eucalyptus: to make this remedy you just have to boil several eucalyptus leaves in water to make an infusion. It is then allowed to cool and is applied to the infected head, massaging from head to ends.
- Scented Alcohol – Scented alcohol causes lice to die of intoxication in a matter of minutes. It is applied from the roots to the ends, taking care not to get in the eyes. It is allowed to act for a while and then the head is covered with a plastic cap.
- Lavender oil: to perform this remedy you just have to apply pure lavender oil to the roots. A very effective home remedy to combat these insects.
Tips to avoid lice
- Hairstyle: lice like warm environments, so they usually settle in the area of the neck or behind the ears. Wearing your hair up and the nape of the neck clear is a good alternative to minimize the risk of contagion.
- pH: lice are not attracted to dirty hair, so contagion is not a matter of hygiene. It is a matter of acidity in the pH of the skin. Thus, the higher the acidity, the less insects of this type. To increase the acidity of the pH of the scalp, just apply a few drops of lemon juice after each wash.
- Hygiene: good hygiene must be maintained for both clothing and bedding and other personal items that children tend to share: brushes, toys, etc.
6 curiosities about lice
- Lice are one of the few insects that do not have wings. They do not have the ability to fly or jump from one head to another. Spread occurs only by direct contact.
- Unlike other infections, lice are not seasonal . However, it is true that the main outbreaks occur during the school season.
- These are one of the most resistant insects that exist, capable of resisting temperatures of up to 50ºC .
- Each female can lay up to ten nits a day , so its spread is very fast.
- Those most affected by lice are children between the ages of three and ten. The reason is that after the age of ten, the production of sebum in the hair increases significantly, a substance that lice detests.
- Recent studies have shown that lice prefer clean, straight hair . These insects locate the veins of the scalp to suck blood.
What to do when a person has lice?
If a person has lice, there are a series of guidelines to take into account to minimize the risk that a close person will be infected.
- One of the most important aspects has to do with washing the bedding and clothing that the person in question has used. Ideally, do it with very hot water.
- Also, items that cannot be washed at home, such as pillows or duvets, should be taken to the dry cleaner.
- It is also advisable to vacuum , with special emphasis on upholstered furniture.
- All those hairdressing items, such as combs or brushes, should be soaked in alcohol for about an hour.
With these guidelines in mind and applying the convenient home remedies to eliminate lice , saying goodbye to these pesky insects once and for all is relatively straightforward.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.