A large percentage of people worldwide, suffer from this problem of hypoglycemia or have had brief moments with it. Well, you have to understand that hypoglycemia is not a pathology directly, but rather indicates a failure internally. It is like fever , vomiting or a diarrhea, they are not diseases but signals that the body emits as a defense mechanism.
What is hypoglycemia?
If a study of the word is carried out, we see that it is a compound word, since the suffix “hypo” indicates low or little, and for its part, glycemia refers to the amount of glucose in the blood. Which leads us to determine that hypoglycemia is nothing more than a glucose deficit in the blood.
To be considered as hypoglycemia, it must be below the normal level of glucose in the blood, which is 70 mg / dL or less. It is worth remembering that glucose is the body’s fuel, therefore when there is a deficiency, the body automatically weakens .
Types of hypoglycemia
Hypoglycemia is divided into two types, which will depend on the degree of intensity that is present in the body. In addition, the knowledge of the type of hypoglycemia that presents, will allow to provide the appropriate treatment.
It is as its name implies, a mild sugar deficit, which can be treated by eating foods with sugar or so-called carbohydrates .
This type of hypoglycemia is a worrying element because it can generate much more serious consequences. That is why, when this type occurs, it is automatically necessary to supply drugs to avoid complications.
Causes of Hypoglycemia
Hypoglycemia is a disorder that indicates a general health problem that is reflected in low blood glucose levels . There is a tendency to believe that this condition is unique and exclusive to diabetic patients, which is totally false. Well, people without diabetes can have hypoglycemic episodes, although they are fewer in number than diabetic patients.
General causes of hypoglycemia
- Side Effects of Medications. Medications have been found to cause hypoglycemic-related side effects. for this reason you should read the indications for use, and apply it to any medication, not only to the treatment for diabetes.
- Disorders in eating habits. When it is for lack of a correct eating plan and for skipping essential meals.
- High alcohol consumption Well, alcohol reaches the liver almost especially, preventing its proper functioning and generating hypoglycemia.
- Diseases in the liver. Simply the liver is the sugar control center, which is why any pathology at this level can cause hypoglycemia.
- Lack of carbohydrates. In this sense, if the foods you eat are low in carbohydrates, they can cause these episodes regularly.
- Anorexia: This problem can generate an energy deficiency thus preventing the production of glucose in the body.
- Very intense physical exercise.
- Hormonal level problems. It must be remembered that hormones are those that regulate the transport and arrival of glucose. Therefore, certain disorders in the target organs can cause a deficiency of regulatory hormones. For example, this is the mechanism that occurs when there are problems in the production of growth hormone.
What causes hypoglycemia if I have diabetes?
If you are a patient with diabetes, the chances of having these conditions are higher. It seems illogical doesn’t it? Well, diabetes is related to hyperglycemia, but what concludes as hypoglycemia are the symptoms. In the sense, that a bad treatment with insulin or any other treatment can trigger this problem.
- It may be due to an effect that all diabetes control medications produce.
- An excess supply of insulin, which lowers blood glucose levels too much, to the point of producing hypoglycemia.
- Not consuming foods with sugar coupled with a strong insulin treatment.
- Excess of physical activity, which seeks an energy expenditure, quite high and is not compensated.
- When insulin is injected, it is delivered into the muscle and not into the subcutaneous layer, causing the loss of sugar and therefore hypoglycemia.
Symptoms of hypoglycemia
Being a mechanism indicative of some problem or condition at the general level of the body, it automatically presents a series of symptoms. It is important to note that these vary in people, and in some they are presented with more evidence than in others. But generally speaking, the first symptoms of hypoglycemia are:
- A disorder at the level of the pulsations and the heart rhythm.
- Feeling of hunger and anxiety.
- The person begins to shake and sweat.
- It becomes completely irritable.
- The skin loses its tone and becomes pale.
- When he sleeps, he begins to cry.
Then the body begins to act and use all homeostatic mechanisms to control this problem. This body regulation of blood glucose which causes the following signs:
- The person becomes nervous and anxious.
- They make you nauseous.
- Weakness or lack of body strength
- Uncontrolled heartbeat
- It makes you excessively hungry.
If not treated in time, this deficiency can rise to the cortex and cause the following symptoms:
- The person becomes confused and disoriented.
- You cannot perform your normal duties.
- Dizziness occurs.
- The headaches begin
- You can even lose consciousness.
- Vision begins to fail and it becomes cloudy or blurry.
- Seizures can occur.
Can you not experience the symptoms?
It is a viable possibility, since it reaches a point that the brain does not emit the aforementioned signals. This is thanks to the fact that these pictures have been presented on so many occasions that the brain assumes it as part of normality . But this is much worse, since serious complications of this disorder can appear.
Also known under the name, hypoglycemia after meals, or postprandial, because it is basically about it. That is, it occurs when a person has hypoglycemia immediately after eating. Well, the body begins to exaggerately produce insulin at that time, that is, food greatly stimulates the production of insulin, to secrete in large quantities.
What are its main causes?
It is seen with a higher incidence in patients who have diabetic problems , in any of its types. However, it is also seen in non-diabetic people, but who have a disorder at the intestinal, pancreas and liver level . Although its main cause is in people, who have undergone stomach surgery, which produces this glucose disorder as an adverse reaction.
How to know if I suffer from it and what to do?
To know if you suffer from reactive hypoglycemia, it is simply if after a few hours of having eaten they present a good part of the aforementioned symptoms. To prevent it is recommended, first a strict regulation of meals establishing a meal plan . Because any type of excesses in the same or the quality, can produce this hypoglycemia. As it is a special type of hypoglycemia, it is best to see a doctor immediately, so that he can indicate the treatment to be carried out.
Treatment of hypoglycemia
As has been mentioned, hypoglycemia is an alert mechanism emitted by the body. That is why the best treatment is to determine the root of the problem in any of the systems, to specify an effective medication that attacks the epicenter of the problem . But as long as that origin is not detected, treatments have to be carried out to restore blood glucose values.
What are these treatments?
There are two types of momentary treatments that allow you to restore these levels quickly and safely. Therefore, if your blood sugar levels according to the table are less than 70 mg / dL, this is what you should do:
- Sugar supply
This is the fastest and most effective answer, because anyone can do it so easily. Well, when we talk about supplying sugars, we mean giving sugar in any of its expressions to the person .
How much should be supplied?
Around 20 grams of conventional sugars, it can be cookies, granulated sugar, candies, soft drinks, chocolates, among others.
- Drug intervention
This medication is dictated by a specialist doctor in the field, who will determine which medications are. As well as when and how they are absolutely necessary to supply them.
- Fixed devices that measure glucose
We have constantly talked throughout the article about glucose levels that must be maintained. That is why the medical industry at its peak has devised a series of devices that allow these levels to be measured. Therefore , if you have a low fasting glucose problem , your measurement should be with these fixed devices . In addition, these devices become very useful when you present some of these symptoms, but you are still not sure if it is hypoglycemia.
What are these gadgets?
There are many available on the market, however, the most important is a sensor that constantly measures the blood glucose in the bloodstream.
Fixed glucose meter
This device is inserted under the epidermis, measuring blood sugar or glucose levels. It is completely digital, so the amount will appear reflected in a few minutes.
How does this glucose meter work?
As mentioned the sensors that are arranged in minimal wires, are placed under the surface layer of the skin. These sensors detect glucose levels and send the reports obtained to a small monitor. This monitor reflects the values and emits alert signals when these levels are outside the normal range.
Why are they really important?
These devices are necessary when the person does not present symptoms of hypoglycemia, as we saw previously. It also allows you to monitor dangerous blood sugar levels in order to deliver the right medication .
In people with glycemic problems, it allows them to confirm their values to avoid complications later due to sugar variations.
- Complications of hypoglycemia
Therefore, it is recommended to go to the doctor immediately, because if the appropriate treatments are not carried out, complications can occur. That is why being aware of the signs and symptoms, in addition to knowing your clinical status, will allow you to prevent greater risks in these conditions.
When hypoglycemia is complicated, a series of serious problems can occur, which put the life of any person at risk. The main complications of hypoglycemia are the following:
- The person begins to convulse.
- You can become completely disoriented and become unconscious.
- Falls can be generated, as the person does not coordinate their body.
- Muscle injuries from falls, blows or any other condition.
- Even if the case is very extreme, hypoglycemia can lead to the death of the person.
This disorder must be diagnosed in time, since uncontrolled hypoglycemia can generate catastrophes. So listen to your body, if these alarm signals are emitted, do not hesitate to take the corresponding measures. Your health is not a game!
- Preventive measures for hypoglycemia
There really is no preventive treatment that 100% eradicates the possibility of hypoglycemia. But despite this, if you can establish a series of measures that reduce the chances of it happening by a large number .
What precaution should I take if I am diabetic?
- Monitor insulin levels delivered.
- At the time of injecting, you must make sure it is in the subcutaneous tissue.
- Comply with the strictly prescribed treatment.
- Do not supply much more insulin than necessary, it must be according to the amount of sugar consumed.
General preventive recommendations
- Establish a meal schedule.
- Control the amounts of sugar in meals.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption.
- Make your visit to the doctor periodically.
- Learn to know your body to be able to know when you have these hypoglycemic problems.
- If you are diagnosed with this sugar deficiency, when driving, walking and working, try to have any candy on hand in case of emergencies.
- It works based on always detecting the exact origin of this condition in order to attack the problem from the root.
Prevention is living! Say no to the complications and problems of hypoglycemia, follow these tips and live with greater peace of mind.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.