A sore throat is one of the most common conditions, both among adults and children. It is usually accompanied by other symptoms such as burning or discomfort to ingest both food and beverages .
Generally, its origin is found in an infection in the tonsils or in the pharynx, the vast majority of which have a mild prognosis; Unless there is a very high fever , it does not require medical treatment. There is a large selection of home remedies that help the infection to subside in just a few days without causing major complications.
Why is the throat sore?
There are a wide variety of causes that explain a sore throat.
- Cold and flu : they are two very common respiratory conditions both among children and adults. One of its main symptoms is precisely a sore throat, which is usually accompanied by a dry cough .
- Tonsillitis: another of the most common causes of sore throat, which is caused by infections that may be caused by a virus or bacteria.
- Infectious mononucleoisis: this is a viral infection that affects both the throat and the lymph nodes.
- STDs: there are certain sexually transmitted diseases that present a sore throat as one of their symptoms, such as gonorrhea . It is not one of the most common causes of this condition, but it is also worth considering.
- Tobacco: Tobacco smoke can irritate the throat. In addition, smoking considerably increases the risk of developing tumors of the mouth, throat and larynx.
Symptoms of sore throat
Regarding the symptoms, a sore throat is already a symptom in itself. This is accompanied by others such as hoarseness, tingling, pain when swallowing and even fever.
Depending on what is causing the sore throat, there may also be other warning signs, such as swollen glands in the neck , white patches or pus on the tonsils, weight loss, or a red throat.
Dry cough and sore throat
Coughing is a defense mechanism of the body that protects the respiratory system against what is causing the throat irritation . Dry cough is characterized by the absence of mucus, and is a very common symptom of the flu, although it can also occur in the case of a cold.
There are some very simple tricks to relieve a cough, as well as a sore throat. One of them is to take hard honey candies, which act as a local protector and help soften the throat. And the other is taking steam showers , which are very effective in combating dry coughs.
Treatment for a sore throat
Generally, a sore throat subsides with home remedies made with 100% natural ingredients. If there is a headache, the doctor may prescribe pain relievers; in the same way, if there is a fever, antipyretics can be taken .
Tips to treat a sore throat
If your throat hurts and it is irritated, there are a number of tips that are worth taking into account.
- Gargles: they are very effective to refresh the area and, in addition, fight viruses and bacteria. In the next point we explain a series of home remedies to gargle that work very well.
- Hydration: staying hydrated is essential, but it is even more important when your throat hurts to prevent the tissues in the area from drying out, increasing irritation. It is essential to drink two liters of water daily, in addition to foods with a high water content, such as watermelon or melon.
- Cold drinks: better avoid cold drinks because they can increase discomfort and sore throat as a result of irritation.
- Sleep: it is not advisable to go to sleep right after eating. Digestion causes gastric games to rise, thus irritating the throat. Ideally, wait a couple of hours.
- Hygiene: of course, hygiene is very important to prevent the appearance of germs. It is essential to wash your hands regularly, as well as maintain good oral hygiene.
Natural remedies for sore throat
If you have a sore throat, you should know that there is a wide range of natural remedies that you can make quickly and easily at home, which are very effective.
Water with salt
One of the simplest remedies, but also one of the most effective. It is simply a matter of gargling warm salt water two or three times a day ; the ideal amount is half a tablespoon of salt for each glass of water. The salt absorbs the water from the cells of the mucous membrane.
It is not advisable to gargle for more than three times a day since the mucous membranes can end up drying out, thus achieving the opposite result than expected.
This home remedy also works very well to fight a sore throat. Sage is a natural ingredient with antibiotic properties that significantly helps relieve a sore throat.
The preparation is so easy. Bring 200 milliliters of water to a boil in a saucepan. When it reaches its boiling point, add a couple of tablespoons of sage and cook for a couple of minutes over low heat. Once the time has elapsed, let it rest for 10 minutes, strain and add a teaspoon of salt.
Then gargle with the sage infusion. Ideally, repeat three times a day.
If a sore throat is accompanied by a dry cough, honey is a fantastic ingredient. It is a natural antiseptic , so it helps destroy the microbes that cause infectious diseases. It is enough to take one or two tablespoons of honey slowly, letting it rest for a few seconds in the back of the mouth.
A very effective remedy for children over one year of age and adults.
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best ingredients for treating a sore throat. It has expectorant properties that help to significantly reduce phlegm, as well as eliminate bacteria.
The preparation and application of this remedy is very easy. You simply have to mix warm water with a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup. Then gargle with that mixture. You can repeat this process every two hours until the sore throat goes away.
Chamomile has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties , making it a very effective home remedy for treating a sore throat.
You must prepare the remedy as follows. Bring a couple of cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. When it reaches boiling point, add a couple of tablespoons of chamomile. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes, remove, cool for a few minutes and strain.
Soak a cotton towel or compress in the infusion and apply it directly to the area of the neck where the sore throat is most severe. Leave on for about twenty minutes, until it cools down. You can repeat this remedy as many times as you consider necessary.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.