The kale is a superfood fashion. It is one of the most nutritious vegetables, with a wide range of properties and health benefits . It is native to Asia Minor, from where it came to Europe in the 7th century. However, the two most widely consumed varieties today, ‘Ornamental’ and ‘Dinosaur’, were first grown in the United States in the 1980s.
One of the main advantages it presents is its low caloric content; 100 grams of product barely contains 33 calories. Kale is very rich in minerals, antioxidants, and fiber.
What is kale?
Kale is what is known as collard greens or kale ; a very nutritious food, low in saturated fat and cholesterol, which is causing a real sensation among lovers of healthy life. It has a wide range of properties; it has, for example, a higher iron content than beef, as well as more calcium than milk of animal origin.
If there is a great reason why kale has become so fashionable in recent years, it is because of its low caloric intake . It can be consumed in so many different ways. The most frequent is to take it raw in salad; However, kale can also be eaten stewed, although it must be taken into account that the more it is cooked, the more nutrients it loses.
Of course, there are also those who bet on kale in the form of juice; it is consumed blended with other vegetables and fruits. The taste of this food is quite strong, and even a bit bitter. Thus, to reduce that bitterness, it is best to use a little olive oil.
Properties of kale
Kale is one of the best foods to take care of the health of the body both in the short and long term. It is rich in the following nutrients.
- Fiber: this food is high in fiber, so it helps regulate intestinal transit and prevent certain diseases such as constipation .
- Folic acid: folic acid helps to similar iron and vitamin B12; The latter is especially important for the proper functioning of the body as it helps in the production of red blood cells, responsible for transporting oxygen through the blood.
- Proteins: Proteins are essential as they form and repair skin tissues. They play a key role in the functioning of cells.
- Iron: the main health benefits of iron is that it provides oxygen to the organs since it plays a leading role in the production of red blood cells.
- Calcium: calcium significantly improves bone health as it helps both the growth and maintenance of bones.
- Vitamin A: vitamin A is one of the essential nutrients for the proper functioning of the body. It has a fundamental role in maintaining proper eye health, as well as neurological and dermatological.
- Vitamin C : Vitamin C considerably strengthens the immune system, largely preventing illnesses such as the flu or cold.
- Vitamin K : This vitamin is essential for building strong bones and keeping the cardiovascular system healthy.
- Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 is very important for the proper functioning of the nervous system .
Health benefits of kale
Next we are going to point out what are the main health benefits of kale.
- It has a high iron content , making it a very effective food when it comes to preventing nutritional anemia. A benefit that is reinforced by vitamin C, which you can take full advantage of if you consume raw kale.
- This food generates a feeling of satiety , thus decreasing the appetite. It is a great option if you are on a weight loss diet.
- Kale increases the levels of good cholesterol in the blood while reducing the levels of bad cholesterol. Therefore, it is a food that cares for and protects the cardiovascular system, reducing the chances of suffering from certain diseases such as myocardial infarction .
- If you do physical activity frequently, kale is a great ally in your diet because its high content of minerals and vitamins helps to replace fluids and energy .
- It notably favors the proper functioning of certain organs such as the liver or the stomach.
- It strengthens the immune system , minimizing the chances of suffering illnesses such as the flu or the cold.
- It prevents ocular degeneration thanks to its high content of lutein and zeaxanthin.
The best tips for consuming kale correctly
Taking into account the properties and benefits of kale for health, it is worth knowing how to consume this food.
As we have pointed out, kale is high in vitamin C; around 20 milligrams per 100 grams of food. However, this vitamin can be lost through cooking. Thus, it is best to consume kale raw , both in salads and in juices.
Another of the great nutritional benefits of kale is its high calcium content, making it a very good alternative to dairy products. However, it is not a definitive substitute for these.
If you cheer up with a kale juice , it is important that you drink the drink little by little, without haste, to avoid any type of digestive problem. It is not advisable to drink more than one juice made from kale a day because excessive consumption of this drink can slow down thyroid function.
The best recipes with kale
Kale salad with tomato
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- White pepper
- To start the recipe, you need to massage the raw kale to make it a little softer.
- Place the kale in a salad bowl and add the diced tomatoes, lettuce, and white pepper. Mix all ingredients well.
- When you have your salad formed, add the olive oil and salt, and stir.
Green kale, spinach, carrot and orange juice
- 2 oranges
- 50 grams of fresh spinach
- 2 carrots
- 1 lemon
- 500 ml of water
- First, wash all the ingredients very well, especially the kale leaves and spinach; Place them in the blender glass. Also add the lemon, as well as the peeled and chopped oranges and carrots.
- Add the water to the blender base and blend all the ingredients in several short sessions until you get a homogeneous juice, without lumps. If you want to give it a touch of exotic flavor, you can add a little ginger .
- The ideal is to consume the juice immediately after its preparation. If you have a little left over, you should store it in the fridge in a closed glass bottle.
Apple, kale and mint juice
- 3 apples
- 3 kale leaves
- 1 lime
- A handful of mint leaves
- To start making the juice, peel and chop the apples and the cucumber.
- Next, add the cucumber and apple pieces to the blender glass. Then add the chopped lime along with the kale leaves and the water.
- Blend all the ingredients very well until you get a homogeneous juice, without lumps.
- To make the drink more refreshing, you can decorate it with a mint leaf.
There is no doubt that kale has a great selection of benefits and nutritional properties . However, we must bear in mind that no food is miraculous, and that it will not improve our health by itself. The most important thing is not to focus solely on kale as a healthy food, but to consume it and introduce it into your regular diet, complementing it with other foods that are also good for your health.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.