During the first year of life of babies it is important to pay the utmost attention to their health; and, at the slightest warning sign that something is not working well, consult your pediatrician. There are some diseases that are very common in newborns ; and the vast majority of them can become serious if left untreated.
In the first three months of life, any infection can be serious. Therefore, when babies have a fever, it is important to go to the hospital as soon as possible, where they will perform a blood and urine test to establish the cause.
The 5 most common diseases in newborns
The urinary tract infection is a relatively common condition in newborns. Generally, the first symptom to appear is a high body temperature for no apparent reason . In the case of young babies, hospitalization may be necessary for their treatment.
Otitis is one of the infections that occurs most frequently in young babies. It is a bacterial infection that is very annoying and painful in newborns . About the symptoms, the most common is that the little ones wake up crying at night. In addition, in some cases they refuse to eat because their ear hurts when swallowing.
Gastroenteritis is also a very common condition in newborns. It is a virus that although in the vast majority of cases is not serious, it does require more attention to babies. Due to diarrhea and / or vomiting, it is necessary to constantly hydrate the little ones to avoid dehydration .
Diarrhea is a very common condition in newborns, and in the vast majority of cases it is caused by an intestinal infection . The little ones have frequent stools and, in addition, they are very liquid and with a bad smell. If the infection is viral in origin, other symptoms such as vomiting and fever may also occur.
When babies are born, it is normal for them to have a more yellowish skin tone than usual . It happens because bilirubin levels are higher than usual since the immature liver is not able to efficiently remove bilirubin from the bloodstream.
Well, when the levels of bilirubin in the blood are too high, it is what is known by the name of jaundice . It is initially a mild condition, but it can become serious if left untreated, causing damage to the nervous system or the brain.
Peculiarities of newborns
There are a series of factors that in newborn babies are totally normal and that should not cause alert in the parents.
- Stools: during the first days of children’s life, stools are usually blackish in color and have a pasty texture. It is normal since the little ones must expel the remains of amniotic fluid and other elements.
- Vomiting: vomiting in newborns is also common because the valve that closes their stomach is not yet performing its function properly. Thus, after each intake it is common for them to expel what is left over.
- Nasal noises: it is also common for the little ones to emit a slight nasal noise; this happens because they are not yet able to breathe through their mouth.
- Hiccups: Hiccups are also common in newborn babies. It occurs because during the suction they have swallowed air. Do not pay too much importance because it usually disappears spontaneously.
How to take care of newborns?
Here we explain a series of tips to take care of newborns.
- Navel: The umbilical cord takes between one and three weeks to fall. During that time it is essential to keep it clean and totally dry to avoid any type of infection. It should be cured three times a day with alcohol and then covered with a sterile gauze.
- Bathing: during the first weeks of life of babies it is highly recommended to bathe them every day. During the first weeks, before the umbilical cord falls off, the bath should be done in parts to prevent this area from getting wet. The water temperature must be at most 36ºC. To bathe the little ones, the ideal is to use a hypoallergenic soap.
- Diaper: regarding the diaper, it should be changed as many times as necessary. To wash the intimate area of the little ones, it is advisable to use hypoallergenic soap and water.
These are the most common diseases in newborns , as well as some tips that are worth knowing when having a baby at home. It is common for parents to be concerned and constantly alert during the first weeks of life of the little ones, but there are some things that are totally normal, such as blackish stools.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.