The mussels are one of the most natural foods in the world. They have a high content of vitamins, amino acids and minerals , which is why they are very beneficial for the proper functioning of the body. They improve both the appearance and health of the skin while strengthening the immune system, helping to repair tissues, and even alleviating the symptoms of depression.
There is a large selection of mussel species, such as the bearded, the Mediterranean or the blond, among others. All of them can be found in both fresh and salt water. The flesh of females is orange in color, while in the case of males the flesh is yellow to whitish in color.
Mussels are generally found in shallow coastal areas, as well as on the edges of ponds and lakes. They are very easy to find and collect, so their consumption is very popular in Mediterranean countries.
Properties of mussels
Mussels are very rich in protein. They contain a very low level of saturated fats, although they are rich in polyunsaturated fats, which are very beneficial for the body’s functioning, such as Omega 3 . In addition, they are very rich in vitamins, mainly group B, as well as a large selection of minerals (calcium, iodine , iron, potassium and magnesium).
In relation to the properties of mussels, its high content of vitamin C and different vitamins of group B, especially B12, stands out. The vitamin B12 is essential for the proper functioning of the nervous system and red blood cell formation.
For its part, selenium favors the proper functioning of the immune system, in addition to protecting the thyroid gland. In addition, magnesium strengthens the bone system and provides energy to the body.
Do not forget about iodine , which also participates in the proper functioning of the metabolism; It is responsible for regulating the energy level and promoting the functioning of the cellular system.
Health benefits of mussels
Mussels are one of the most beneficial foods that exist, with a large selection of positive effects on health and the body. They can be consumed in many different ways, and are considered one of the most natural foods in the world.
They strengthen the immune system
One of the main properties of mussels has to do with their high content of vitamin A , which plays a very important role in a wide range of functions in the body: it favors the production of white blood cells, helps to keep the bone system in good condition. good condition, regulates both growth and cell division …
In addition, it significantly strengthens the immune system, so that the body is better prepared to deal with diseases such as the flu or the cold.
They take care of the muscular system
Mussels are one of the best sources of proteins of high biological value . Experts note that both adults and children need to consume protein on a daily basis for a wide variety of reasons, the most important of which are three.
On the one hand, proteins are essential for growth, something essential during childhood. On the other hand, they help preserve muscle mass. And finally, they participate in tissue repair.
Mussels are very rich in vitamin C and phosphorus , so they are great allies to strengthen bones and teeth. It is estimated that a cup of mussels provides almost 20% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C.
In addition, this vitamin helps both in the repair and maintenance of the bone system , as well as in the healing and healing of wounds. It also plays an important role in fighting infections and neutralizing free radicals that are harmful to the body.
They are anti-inflammatory
Mussels are the shellfish with the highest amount of Omega-3 fatty acids , which gives them great anti-inflammatory properties. In addition, they help to take care of the cardiovascular system, minimizing the risk of suffering diseases such as myocardial infarction .
They are antioxidants
Mussels contain selenium , an essential nutrient for the proper functioning of the body. It is very important to protect the body from infection and damage caused by free radicals, in addition to promoting DNA production .
Mussels are very rich in vitamin B12, which plays a key role in a wide range of bodily functions. Some studies carried out recently have shown that high levels of vitamin B12 in the body significantly relieve the symptoms of depression.
Improve the appearance and health of the skin
Thanks to its high content of vitamin C, mussels help improve both the appearance and the health of the skin. In this way, by consuming this food frequently, the skin looks much more luminous and smoother .
Control blood pressure
The sodium in mussels helps control blood volume and blood pressure . A serving of mussels is estimated to provide nearly 20% of the sodium an adult needs on a daily basis.
Another of the nutrients present in mussels is zinc, essential to maintain good health. The body uses it to protect itself against the invasion of viruses and bacteria, as well as to produce DNA and proteins .
The best mussel recipes
To fully enjoy the health benefits and properties of mussels, it is interesting to know some recipes.
Mussels with vegetable vinaigrette
- 1 kilo of mussels
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- First the mussels are opened. To do this, they are cooked in a pot covered with a splash of white wine.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, the olive oil and vinegar are emulsified in a bowl.
- Next the 1/2 onion is chopped, as well as the green pepper and the red pepper. They are added to the bowl of the vinaigrette.
- Then, put half a tablespoon of vinaigrette on each mussel and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
Mussels with marinara sauce
- 1 kilo of mussels
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 glass of white wine
- 1 clove garlic
- Chopped parsley
- To begin with the preparation of the recipe, the mussels are washed well; To do this, the shells are scraped with energy, so that all impurities are removed.
- Next, the chives and garlic clove are minced and fried in a saucepan with oil over low heat. When the chives are sufficiently sautéed, sprinkle with the white wine and cook for a couple of minutes.
- The mussels are placed in the casserole and left to cook for eight minutes, until they are completely open. It is advisable to stir the mussels from time to time.
- Finally, the mussels are sprinkled with chopped parsley and served with their own sauce.
Mussels au gratin
- 1 kilo of mussels
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 100 ml of white wine
- 500 ml of milk
- 80 grams of flour
- Extra virgin olive oil
- First, the mussels are washed to remove any remaining dirt on the shell.
- The wine is then heated in a pan and the mussels are added. Place the lid and wait for them to open.
- It is expected that they open and then the meat is little and reserved together with the shells.
- Chop the onion and garlic cloves and cook them in a saucepan with a drizzle of oil. Add the green pepper previously chopped. Season and sauté everything well.
- Once the vegetables are poached, add the tomato sauce and the chopped mussels. All the ingredients are mixed and sautéed for five minutes.
- It is time to distribute the filling in the shells of the mussels.
- The baking tray is covered with a thin layer of coarse salt and the stuffed mussels are placed on top.
- To make the bechamel, put a little oil in a saucepan, add the flour and sauté a little. Then the milk is poured little by little, seasoned with salt and pepper and left to cook for ten minutes without stopping stirring.
- When the bechamel is ready, it is placed in a pastry bag and each mussel is covered with a little of it. They are au gratin in the oven.
As we have pointed out, mussels are one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods that exist, suitable for people of all ages. Plus, they support a large selection of brew modes, which is a huge plus.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.