Olive oil, also known as “liquid gold” thanks to its wide range of properties and health benefits , is an essential ingredient in the Mediterranean diet. It has been used for several thousand years, both as a food and as a natural remedy.
And it is that, in addition to including it in the diet, this vegetable oil has a series of properties that considerably improve a large selection of conditions.
Olive oil benefits
Olive oil has a great selection of health benefits, both physical and mental. It is enough to take 40 grams daily, which is equivalent to three tablespoons.
- Cholesterol in the blood: one of the best-known health benefits of olive oil is that it reduces levels of bad cholesterol at the same time that it increases that known as good cholesterol. In this way, it significantly minimizes the risk of suffering from cardiovascular diseases such as myocardial infarction .
- Hypertension: thanks to the high content of polyphenols and oleic acid, olive oil reduces hypertension.
- Digestive System: This natural ingredient also has benefits related to the digestive system. And it is that it acts as a protective barrier against excess acids in the stomach. In addition, it stimulates the secretion of bile, thus improving digestion and avoiding diseases such as constipation .
- Skin: in relation to the skin, olive oil has antioxidant properties, preventing premature aging of the skin. It also offers great elasticity and nutrition.
- Nutrients: and finally, this vegetable oil improves the absorption of nutrients such as calcium and magnesium by the body.
Olive oil properties
One of the main components of this vegetable oil is oleocanthal . It is highly inflammatory, so it is used to significantly reduce joint and muscle pain . In addition, it contains healthy fats that regulate blood sugar levels, as well as the production of insulin; therefore, it is a great ally against diabetes .
Another of the properties attributed to olive oil is its high antioxidant content ; thus, it notably strengthens the immune system at the same time that it prevents the aging of both the skin and the cells.
Of course, its content in monounsaturated fats increases the levels of good cholesterol in the body.
Best natural remedies with olive oil
As we have pointed out, olive oil has a wide selection of health benefits and properties. Thus, there are numerous home remedies with this vegetable oil as the main ingredient.
The truth is that olive oil has been used for several thousand years in natural medicine. Known as “liquid gold,” it has properties very similar to ibuprofen , making it a great remedy for relieving local pain.
If you suffer from constipation and want to treat this condition with natural ingredients, olive oil is a great option. It is enough to take two tablespoons on an empty stomach; If you want to improve the flavor you can add a couple of drops of lemon.
A very effective and easy to apply home remedy. Being constant with the intake of olive oil, constipation will gradually improve and you will be able to evacuate more frequently and easily.
One of the most frequent uses of olive oil in relation to home remedies is to treat burns. Of course, it should never be done immediately after suffering the burn in question. You have to wait a few minutes for the wound to breathe.
After the time has elapsed, you can apply a teaspoon of olive oil on the affected area. This natural ingredient deeply hydrates the skin, relieving pain and speeding up the recovery process .
Muscle strain and pain
As we have pointed out, olive oil has properties similar to those of ibuprofen, a drug widely used to treat pain .
Well, it is enough to apply a couple of tablespoons on the painful area and massage with circular movements and an estimated duration of ten minutes, until it is well absorbed. The relief is practically instantaneous.
Olive oil is of great help when it comes to removing wax plugs from your ears. You just have to apply a couple of drops in the affected ear just before sleeping and cover it with a cotton ball. Thus, the next morning a little warm water is applied to the affected ear with a syringe. A great way to remove plugs easily, quickly, and painlessly .
Take care of the skin
In addition to the many benefits that olive oil provides to the general health of the body, this natural ingredient also helps to care for the skin. It has antioxidant and moisturizing properties , so it is very beneficial for the skin of the whole body.
Helps fight the signs of aging effectively. To do this, every night it is enough to massage your face with a mixture obtained from a tablespoon of olive oil and two drops of lemon.
This natural ingredient is also effective in treating stretch marks on the skin. To end them, you just have to mix one tablespoon of olive oil with one of wheat germ oil; then, the mixture is applied giving a gentle massage. With constant application, stretch marks gradually improve.
Is it good to take olive oil on an empty stomach?
Experts say that taking olive oil on an empty stomach, a few minutes before breakfast, is very beneficial for both physical and mental health. And it is that in this way all its nutrients are absorbed since the body is not carrying out another digestive process.
The benefits of taking olive oil on an empty stomach are remarkable, and are worth considering.
- Digestive system: helps to cleanse the liver and pancreas, thus promoting the proper functioning of both organs. Especially important in the case of the liver as it is responsible for digesting fats and exhaling the body.
- Losing weight: one of the great benefits of taking this type of vegetable oil minutes before breakfast is that it favors the purification of the body and largely prevents fluid retention. It also generates a feeling of satiety. Thus, it is a fantastic option for those who want to lose weight.
- Cardiovascular system: olive oil on an empty stomach can be of great help to reduce abdominal fat, which is directly related to cardiovascular diseases.
- Mood: beyond the physical benefits, taking olive oil on an empty stomach also improves mood. And it is that it provides healthy fats that are essential for the proper functioning of the central nervous system , which produces neurotransmitters that allow you to have a good mood.
The best way to drink olive oil on an empty stomach is to accompany it with lemon juice and a glass of warm water . A 100% recommended remedy (read our article: water with lemon on an empty stomach ). Warm water is a natural laxative that allows the body to better assimilate the nutrients obtained throughout the day. In addition, lemon is rich in vitamin C , which strengthens and protects the immune system from diseases such as colds or flu .
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.