The papaya is a tropical fruit that today enjoys great popularity worldwide. It has great antioxidant properties and, in addition, its flavor is delicious.
One of the most prominent nutrients in papaya is papain , which has a large selection of properties that are very beneficial for the general health of the body: it helps digestion, is analgesic and antiseptic, cleanses the mucous membranes of the digestive system , helps in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases …
Papaya also has carpaine , an alkaloid that makes it easier to digest large meals, while reducing heart failure.
Types of papaya
There are about fifty different types of papaya in the world. However, the vast majority of times are classified into three large groups.
- Golden : it is the smallest type of papaya, whose weight ranges between 400 and 600 grams approximately.
- Hawaiian : one of the most characteristic types, since it has the shape of a light bulb and, in addition, its flavor is sweeter.
- Papayón : as its name suggests, it is the largest type of papaya, whose weight can reach five kilos. It is cylindrical in shape and its pulp is red.
Nutritional properties of papaya
Papaya is a fruit made up mostly of water. That is why it barely provides 43 calories for every 100 grams of product. Thus, it is a food suitable for people of all ages, even those who carry out a weight loss plan.
In relation to its nutritional properties, papaya is very rich in vitamins A, B (B1, B2 and B3), C and D. That is why it favors and improves a wide range of body functions.
It is also a fruit very rich in fiber , thus favoring cases of constipation .
Benefits of papaya
Here are the main health benefits of papaya.
Avoid liquid retention
One of the main benefits of this fruit has to do with its high water content; around 90%. Thus, papaya is one of the best natural diuretics , thus minimizing the risk of fluid retention.
Fluid retention is a relatively common disorder, especially in the elderly. If the amount of fluid accumulated in the body is excessive, it can affect the functioning of certain organs.
Strengthens the immune system
Papaya is very rich in vitamin C , with a content even higher than that of orange. One of the most important nutrients for the general health of the organism since it helps to increase the natural defenses , thus minimizing the risk of suffering diseases such as the flu .
In addition, it favors the production of collagen and improves the absorption of iron by the body.
Improves the health and appearance of the skin
Papaya also stands out for its high content of vitamin A, which is responsible for taking care of the health and appearance of the skin .
Beta carotene is the main precursor of vitamin A in the human body, which has a large selection of benefits. The most important of all is that it favors the synthesis of melanin, a natural pigment that promotes tanning of the skin, and also protects it from the sun’s rays.
Papaya contains a nutrient called lycopene, which has great antioxidant properties. Thus, this fruit protects the skin and the body from free radicals , such as pollution or sunlight.
In this way, it greatly prevents the aging of both the skin and the cells of the body.
Take care of the cardiovascular system
Another compound in papaya is the flavonoid cryptoxanthin, which helps lower LDL cholesterol levels .
That is why it is considered that one of the great benefits of this fruit is that it helps prevent cardiovascular diseases such as myocardial infarction .
Prevents macular degeneration
The high vitamin A content of papaya greatly prevents various eye disorders , such as macular degeneration.
Avoid and improve constipation
Papaya is also rich in fiber, a nutrient that improves intestinal transit, while minimizing the risk of constipation.
Constipation is precisely one of the most common digestive diseases, both among children and adults. Its causes can be very diverse; from stress to rectal problems, among others.
Helps in the digestion of proteins
Papaya contains papain, an enzyme that promotes the digestion of proteins present in food . In addition, some studies have determined that this fruit can help slow the development of some bacteria that can lead to intestinal diseases.
Minimizes arthritis pain
Papaya is one of the best natural remedies for arthritis pain . It has anti-inflammatory properties, in a way that helps reduce inflammation and, therefore, joint pain.
Contraindications of papaya
Despite all the benefits and properties of this fruit, there are a number of cases in which its consumption is not recommended.
- Due to its high fiber content, it is not recommended that people who are going through a diarrheal process consume papaya.
- In the same way, those people who are following a treatment with diuretic drugs , it is recommended that they consult their doctor beforehand.
- The consumption of this fruit is also not recommended for people with kidney stones .
Papaya and athletes
Papaya is a fruit widely consumed by athletes thanks to its wide range of properties and benefits when it comes to training and high intensity activities.
This fruit contains a large amount of vitamins and minerals and, in addition, it provides a lot of energy . In addition, it largely avoids digestive discomfort common in athletes, such as athletes or cyclists.
To all this we must add its high water content, so that papaya is a natural moisturizer.
The best recipes to enjoy papaya
There are so many different ways to get the most out of this tropical fruit. Here we explain how to make some delicious recipes step by step.
Papaya and red tea
An exquisite combination of ingredients and, in addition, very rich in antioxidants.
- 1 papaya
- 10 grams of red tea
- 700 ml of water
- First, the 700 ml of water are boiled and, once they reach boiling point, the red tea is added. Let it cook over low heat for a few minutes, remove it and let it rest.
- Then the papaya is cut into small pieces and put in the tea, leaving it to marinate for a couple of hours.
- Once the time has elapsed, it is passed through the blender until obtaining a papaya juice and red tea.
A healthy and fresh recipe for the summer.
- 400 grams of tomato
- 300 grams of papaya
- 1 clove garlic
- 70 grams of bread
- 10 grams of apple cider vinegar
- 50 grams of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- To start with the recipe, first the tomatoes are washed and peeled. Then, the papaya is peeled and chopped. Both ingredients are added together with the previously peeled garlic clove to the crusher.
- Next, the crumbled bread is moistened with the apple cider vinegar and the extra virgin olive oil. Then, it is seasoned with salt and pepper to taste and crushed until a homogeneous paste is obtained.
- Both pastes are mixed in a glass bowl and left to rest in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- When serving, you can decorate the plate with a few cubes of papaya if desired.
A dessert with a delicious flavor and very easy to make.
- 150 grams of papaya
- 50 grams of sugar
- 150 ml of cream for cooking
- 150 ml milk
- 4 sheets of gelatin
- To begin with, the papaya is peeled off the skin. Then, the seeds that are inside are removed until it is very clean and is reserved.
- The gelatin sheets are put in a container with cold water.
- Add the cream to cook in a saucepan and heat it over low heat, avoiding boiling. Once it starts to heat up, add the milk and sugar. All the ingredients are stirred well to mix them together, so that the mixture gradually thickens.
- When a creamy mixture has formed, it is time to drain the gelatin and add it to the saucepan.
- It is stirred a little so that the gelatin is diluted in the cream and is well distributed by it. Then the papaya pieces are added to the saucepan and left for a few minutes over low heat.
- The next step is to use the mixer to beat the entire contents of the saucepan, until it is well formed.
- And finally, the cream is poured into individual containers. They are allowed to warm to room temperature and then stored in the refrigerator to cool.
In short, papaya is one of the most delicious and nutritious fruits in the world. To take full advantage of its benefits and properties, it is recommended to consume when it is ripe. In addition, it is interesting to know that its flavor is better when it is cold.
If it is to be taken in the form of fruit salad, in combination with other fruits, it is important that these are sweet, such as banana or pear. It is not a good idea to combine papaya with citrus fruits such as orange because that way the stomach does not achieve the recommended acidity
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.