Stretch marks are a kind of marks on the skin, which appear in the form of irregular lines, caused by the breakdown of the collagen, elastin and reticulin fibers that make up the dermis. Initially, when they appear, they appear as marks of a reddish or purplish color and that with the passage of time they acquire a pearly whitish tone and a texture different from that of the rest of the skin, this being the phase in which it is much more difficult to eliminate them completely. Although they can appear in various parts of the body, there are areas that are more vulnerable to stretching of the elastic fibers of the skin than others, and these are the breasts, abdomen, hips, buttocks, thighs, knees and arms .
Why leave stretch marks
There are different factors that can favor the formation of stretch marks, among them are sudden changes in weight, which is more common in periods such as puberty, pregnancy or lactation; have dry skin or lack of elasticity; follow a diet low in essential nutrients to maintain healthy skin; hormonal alterations; the rapid growth of muscles; the consumption of some medications; have a genetic predisposition, etc.
Properties of lemon to remove stretch marks
Natural treatments are in many cases a magnificent solution to attenuate unsightly marks on the skin, and when the objective is to eliminate stretch marks and reduce their visibility, lemon stands out as one of the best home remedies for this. Next, we detail why lemon can be used to remove stretch marks and what its properties are:
- Clarifies the skin and the tone of stretch marks: the citric acid in lemon provides this fruit with very powerful whitening properties. In fact, it is one of the most popular treatments to remove dark spots and combat the darkening that is experienced in some areas of the body over time, such as the elbows, knees, armpits or upper lip. In this case, its application reduces the tone of the stretch marks and unifies it with the rest of the skin, thus making them not so noticeable at first glance.
- Exfoliates the skin: cleanses the skin in a deep way and removes all the dead cells that accumulate in the superficial layer of it. In addition, it allows to unclog pores and prevent new impurities from appearing.
- It favors the production of collagen: thanks to its high content of vitamin C , lemon has the ability to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin in the skin. This is essential to keep the tissues in perfect condition and avoid stretch marks, which, as we have commented previously, are formed due to a breakdown of the collagen, elastin and reticulin fibers.
- It is a great antioxidant: vitamin C, on the other hand, is also a natural antioxidant, so it acts against free radicals that promote skin aging, helps cells to renew themselves and the damaged tissues in which they appear stretch marks are more easily repaired.
Lemon treatments for stretch marks
Ingredients: 1 lemon and a cotton pad (the kind used to remove make-up) or a small gauze.
Steps to follow:
- Place 1 lemon in the fridge and wait for it to cool.
- Take the lemon out of the refrigerator, cut it in half and squeeze it to extract all its juice.
- Pour the lemon juice into a bowl and soak the cotton pad in it.
- Pass the cotton pad over the areas with stretch marks making circular massages to reactivate blood circulation.
- Let the lemon act on the skin for about 10 or 15 minutes and, after this time, rinse with plenty of warm or cold water.
- Finally, apply an anti-stretch and firming cream or oil.
Lemon and sugar
Ingredients: 5 tablespoons of sugar and 1 lemon
Steps to follow:
- Cut the lemon in half and extract its natural juice with a juicer.
- In a bowl, mix the lemon juice with the sugar until you get a homogeneous grainy paste.
- Apply the exfoliant made of sugar and lemon on damp skin (when showering) on the parts of the body with stretch marks.
- Perform gentle circular massages for a few minutes to remove all dead cells.
- Rinse the area with plenty of warm or cold water, avoiding hot water, which can very dry the skin.
Lemon and aloe vera
Ingredients: 1 lemon and 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel
Steps to follow:
- In a bowl, mix the freshly squeezed lemon juice with the aloe vera and stir until the two ingredients are perfectly integrated.
- Apply the resulting mask on the skin with stretch marks doing circular massages.
- Leave on for about 10 minutes and, after this time, rinse with warm or cold water.
- In this treatment, it is possible to substitute aloe vera for olive oil, almond oil or cucumber juice.
It is important that while these anti-stretch mark treatments with lemon are carried out, the skin is not exposed to the sun, since new spots and marks could appear. It is best to carry them out overnight so that the skin is fully recovered the next day.
Other tips that should be taken into account on a day-to-day basis to prevent the appearance of stretch marks and keep the skin in perfect condition are the following:
- Eat a balanced and healthy diet, rich in foods with vitamins A, C and E.
- Drink plenty of water during the day (between 1.5 and 2 liters).
- Avoid sudden and sudden changes in weight.
- Apply moisturizers to the skin and use anti-stretch mark lotions as a prevention.
- Perform moderate physical exercise on a regular basis to keep skin tissues firm.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.