There are many experts who point out that stress is one of the main diseases of the 21st century, both among children and adults. The causes can be very diverse, such as financial problems, difficulty in reconciling personal and work life, or anxiety to obtain the best academic performance in the case of the youngest.
The consequences of chronic stress can be fatal to health, both physically and mentally: cardiovascular diseases such as myocardial infarction , mental disorders such as depression …
The best sports to relax the mind and relieve stress
That is why it is recommended to practice sports to relax the mind, which, in addition, are very fashionable today. Here are some of the best alternatives and their benefits.
Qi Gong is a body exercise made up of gentle physical movements , as well as breathing exercises and mental concentration, whose origin dates back more than 4,000 years. It emerged in China to strengthen the body on a physical, mental and spiritual level .
Qi or Chi means “energy” and Gong “work or technique.” Thus, Chi is the vital energy that flows through the body through the meridians known in acupuncture. As traditional Chinese medicine points out, different mental and physical illnesses occur when Chi stagnates. Qi Gong is defined as the art of circulating said energy in the most appropriate way.
An activity that improves overall health, while eliminating stress and depression, helping those who practice it to have more energy and vitality. It is therefore one of the most popular training and personal cultivation methods globally.
Qi Gong benefits
- Oxygenation: as we have pointed out, this activity is based on the fact of controlling breathing, doing it in a conscious way. In this way, good breathing provides adequate oxygenation, thereby ensuring that the body and mind are in balance.
- Circulatory system : in relation to the circulatory system, Qi Gong helps reduce the heart rate, thereby improving blood pumping. In this way, the functions of the different organs that make up the human body are improved, such as those of the digestive system .
- Immune system : This activity significantly strengthens the immune system, so that it is better prepared to deal with illnesses such as the flu or cold.
Tai chi is considered a martial art and combat sport. However, it is not used as such; Among the principles of Tai chi are soft movements , which are performed in a natural, relaxed, fluid and slow way. In no case is force or speed applied.
This activity consists of carrying out a series of movements, the vast majority of which shape representations of nature : stroking a horse’s tail, hugging the clouds … To carry them out, it is essential that the body is relaxed and moves smoothly. slowly, feeling the energy and breath flow through the body.
In China it is believed that Tai chi can delay aging and prolong life , as well as increase flexibility and strengthen the muscular and joint systems.
On a mental level, Tai chi is considered to be very effective in dealing with depressive disorders, as well as anxiety and stress. It notably improves mood, as well as the ability to concentrate.
Tai chi benefits
- Strength and endurance: one of the main benefits of this activity has to do with the fact that it significantly improves the strength and muscular endurance of those who practice it.
- Asthma : taking into account that each movement takes deep breaths, Tai chi is very beneficial for asthma sufferers.
- Stress: the breathing and concentration involved in each movement that is carried out relaxes the mind and spirit. It is meditation in motion.
- Joint system: there are many sports that put excessive stress on the body’s joints. Instead, Tai chi protects and strengthens the joint system, thus helping to maintain healthy joints.
The Pilates method was created in the early 1920s. It consists of a series of exercises whose main objective is to exercise the body and mind, improving physical condition, as well as the ability to control and concentrate.
Joseph H. Pilates created a routine that included no more and no less than 500 exercises that combined flexibility, calm, strength and muscle tone.
The Pilates method is included within anaerobic exercises; It is therefore a physical activity that is carried out briefly and is based on strength. However, its main objective is not to burn calories, but to strengthen the muscular and joint system, thus increasing the control, strength and flexibility of the body.
Benefits of the Pilates method
- Emotions: from an emotional point of view, this activity promotes the emotional and mental well-being of those who practice it. Several studies have shown that it effectively reduces stress while promoting concentration and a sense of well-being.
- Lumbar: Another of the great benefits of practicing Pilates has to do with improving back pain in general, and lower back pain in particular.
- Flexibility: practicing this activity frequently greatly favors flexibility, thus improving the health of both muscles and joints.
Body Balance is a physical activity that consists of synchronizing movements through music , improving posture, flexibility and breathing. Currently, it is a technique recognized as a channel of self – knowledge , since it is based on the inner search to obtain a better quality of life.
A 100% recommended activity for those who want to put stress aside and be aware of their body both physically, mentally and emotionally.
Benefits of Body Balance
- Cardiovascular system: do not forget that it is a physical activity, so that it strengthens the cardiovascular system. In this way, it helps to minimize the risk of suffering disorders such as myocardial infarction.
- Stress: in relation to stress, practicing Body Balance frequently reduces stress levels, promoting well-being and peace of mind.
- Ability to concentrate: another of the great benefits of this activity has to do with improving the ability to concentrate, which has very positive effects on both work and personal life.
- Flexibility and balance: and, finally, it manages to improve flexibility and balance, improving the health of the body’s muscular and joint system.
Stretching is a method of muscle stretching that mixes exercises from traditional gymnastics, classical dance and yoga . Its main objectives are to improve flexibility, strengthen the muscular and joint system, delay the effects of aging and provide well-being and relaxation .
It is therefore an activity that involves the whole body through postures that exert a small tension in certain points, thus releasing deep tensions and correcting postural deviations. This discipline not only works on the muscles, but also on tendons, ligaments, and even the skin itself.
Benefits of stretching
- Vitality: one of the great benefits of this activity that is currently so fashionable is that it brings a great sense of vitality to those who practice it; stretching exercises provide a great sense of well-being and peace on a mental level.
- Circulatory system: stretching all the muscles and joints of the body improves the activity of the circulatory system, thus minimizing the risk of suffering from diseases such as stroke or thrombosis.
- Stress: Of course, stretching is an activity that significantly reduces stress. In this way, the quality of life of those who practice the activity improves significantly.
As you can see, there is a great selection of options to relax your mind and say goodbye to stress once and for all. The vast majority of activities that we have indicated are suitable for people of all ages since they do not involve great physical effort; They are based on gentle movements and control of breathing.
Which of these activities to choose depends on personal tastes and preferences . All of them are 100% recommended to improve physical condition and, in addition, enjoy a relaxed mental state.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.