The sushi is currently one of the most popular dishes from around the world. Its main ingredients are rice and vinegar, usually mixed with raw fish . It has a wide range of properties and health benefits, making it an excellent option for a healthy diet.
History and meaning of sushi
There are many people who believe that the meaning of the word sushi is related to raw fish. Well, the truth is that it has to do with the combination of ingredients with the vinegary rice . Another of the most widespread beliefs has to do with the fact that the origin of sushi is in Japan, but it comes from ancient China .
The oldest reference to sushi in Japan dates from the 8th century. However, the preparation of the dish as we know it today is from the 19th century; the rice was boiled instead of steamed and rice vinegar was added to the recipe.
It was in the 20th century when sushi crossed the borders of Asia and spread throughout the world. It is currently considered one of the most international dishes that exist, and also one of the most consumed globally.
What types of sushi are there?
We are going to see the different forms of sushi that we can find.
- Makis: they are the best known of all. A cylinder that is made by placing the rice on the nori seaweed sheet and the main ingredient, usually fish, in the center.
- Uramakis: also known as California Rolls, they are very similar to the previous ones, with the only difference that the rice is left out instead of the nori seaweed.
- Nigiris: they are portions of rice with an oval shape and covered by a sheet of raw fish, especially salmon and tuna.
- Temaki: another of the most popular suhi varieties; It consists of a portion of nori seaweed with a conical shape that is filled with rice, vegetables and fish.
- Onigiri: a portion of rice in a triangular shape filled with raw fish inside and wrapped with nori seaweed.
Next we are going to analyze what are the properties of this Japanese dish based on the different parts of which it is composed.
Rice is a staple in the diet. It has a high content of minerals such as calcium and iron ; and, in addition, it is very rich in vitamins. Its amount of saturated fat is very low.
Rice vinegar contains up to 20 types of amino acids that notably strengthen our defenses. In addition, it is a food very rich in Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, and has a high content of acetic acid that helps to digest food better.
Fish is one of the most beneficial foods that exist for both physical and mental health care. In addition to its low caloric intake, it is a great source of protein, unsaturated fats, vitamins and minerals.
In addition, it has a high content of Omega 3 fatty acids, which notably strengthen the cardiovascular system; in this way, the risk of suffering diseases such as myocardial infarction decreases .
Wasabi is a green paste that gives sushi a spicy flavor. It is rich in antioxidants and bacteremic nutrients ; it has anti-inflammatory properties.
Nori seaweed is one of the key ingredients in sushi. It is very rich in calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, and vitamins . A great source of very beneficial nutrients for the body.
Sweet and sour ginger
Health benefits of sushi
Here are the main health benefits of sushi.
- Cardiovascular health: sushi is a food very rich in Omega 3 fatty acids. HDL cholesterol significantly helps balance and eliminate LDL cholesterol from the body. In this way, clogging of the arteries is largely prevented, thus reducing the likelihood of cardiovascular disease and stroke.
- Balance in hormonal levels: nori seaweed is very rich in iodine , a nutrient that regulates hormonal levels in the body, specifically those of the thyroid gland.
- Metabolism : fish is a food very rich in protein and with a very low caloric content. Factors that help accelerate the body and, therefore, promote fat burning.
- Circulation: the fish and soy sauce with which sushi is made are very rich in iron; an essential nutrient for the proper functioning of the body because it plays a leading role in the production of red blood cells, which improve blood circulation.
In the vast majority of cases, sushi consumption is 100% safe . However, as with all foods and beverages, consuming too much can pose a health hazard. Below we explain some of the most prominent contraindications to the consumption of this Japanese dish.
A condition caused by an infection by parasites of the homonymous genus. It is a microorganism present in fish and larvae. Considering that sushi is a food that involves the consumption of raw fish , there is a certain risk of contracting this disease. To avoid this, it is important to wash the fish very well and buy it in safe places, where we are sure that they have passed the corresponding food safety and quality process.
It is one of the less common contraindications to suhi consumption, but it can occur. Certain species of percado can have high concentrations of mercury , so the body can become intoxicated with this component.
Fish is one of the most delicate foods when it comes to preserving it. If you are making sushi at home, you should avoid thawing the fish too many times or keeping it at room temperature for a long period of time.
Tips for consuming sushi
When consuming this food, it is worth taking into account a series of tips to do it in a 100% safe way.
- Generally, sushi is accompanied by soy sauce . Well, excessive consumption is not recommended in people with high blood pressure since this sauce has a high salt content.
- Of course, it is essential to buy sushi from establishments you trust . If you are going to prepare it at home, you must pay special attention to the storage and handling of the fish to prevent it from spoiling.
Conclusion: is sushi good for your health?
Given the popularity that this dish has taken internationally, many people wonder if it is really good for their health. Well, the answer is yes; however, there are some peculiarities that are worth knowing.
On the one hand, it must be borne in mind that not all types of sushi are the same. For example, nigiris, rice balls covered in a sheet of salmon or tuna, are an extraordinary source of protein and healthy fats. However, certain types of sushi consumed in the West contain fried onion, mayonnaise, and cream cheese; ingredients that significantly increase the calories of the dish in question.
On the other hand, it is advisable to pay special attention to the dressings. Teriyaki sauce is not recommended as it has a high caloric intake . Soy sauce is more advisable.
And finally, what is related to salt and sugar . The rice is mixed with vinegar, as well as salt and sugar to keep it sticky. Therefore, it is advisable to moderate its consumption.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.