Currently, there is an increasingly general trend towards caring for the body and health , for which it is essential to choose a healthy and balanced diet . Thus, many people choose vegetarian burgers as an alternative to traditional meat burgers.
Contrary to what you might think, this type of hamburger is not only consumed by vegetarians, but by all those who want to eat a healthy diet to take care of their health.
What are veggie burgers?
In general, the terms hamburger and healthy food are contradictory. The reason is none other than that hamburgers are usually fast food products, made with unhealthy ingredients and high in saturated fat.
Of course, things change with veggie burgers, which have a wide selection of properties and health benefits . It is one of the most popular dishes today, widely consumed not only by vegetarians, but by those who want to take care of their health.
In recent years, great progress has been made in both the texture and the taste of vegetarian burgers, to the point that they can be as tasty as meat ones. Of course they are healthier and fair with animals.
Benefits of veggie burgers
As we have pointed out, vegetarian burgers have a wide range of health benefits, which are worth knowing.
Low in fat
As is logical, those hamburgers that do not contain ingredients of animal origin such as meat have a lower fat content. Conventional veal burgers contain around 10 grams of fat, while veggie burgers are about 3 grams. In relation to calories, the former can easily exceed 200 calories per serving, while the latter barely exceed 70 calories . Therefore, they are a great option for both vegetarians and those who want to lose weight.
Less amount of preservatives
If meat burgers are characterized by something, it is by the large amount of preservatives that they incorporate with the main objective of extending their useful life, which is very unhealthy. One of the preservatives that most frequently incorporate this type of hamburger is sodium nitrite, whose consumption on a regular basis increases the risk of suffering from certain diseases.
Thus, the healthiest option is to opt for home-made vegetarian burgers , with homemade and natural ingredients.
Higher amount of fiber
The vast majority of vegetables are rich in fiber, so veggie burgers promote intestinal transit . Thus, they are a great option to avoid diseases such as constipation .
Lower LDL cholesterol
Certain ingredients such as soy, which is often used to make veggie burgers, help lower LDL cholesterol in the body . It is what is known as “bad cholesterol” and it can be life threatening since it clogs the arteries, and can even block blood flow.
The best ingredients to prepare veggie burgers
If you want to prepare vegetarian burgers at home, here are the best ingredients you can select.
Oatmeal flakes are one of the best ingredients for making healthy and delicious veggie burgers. Oats are one of the most complete and balanced cereals that exist. It stands out especially for its high content of magnesium, envelope, iron, zinc and vitamin B1 ; essential nutrients for the proper functioning of the body both physically and mentally.
In addition, oatmeal is very rich in antioxidants , so it helps fight premature aging of both skin and cells.
Mushrooms are mushrooms widely consumed throughout the world. In the kitchen they are very versatile since they can be used as an ingredient to prepare a wide variety of dishes. One of its main advantages is that they barely provide 30 kilocalories for every 100 grams of product .
Thanks to their high content of selenium, magnesium, iodine , calcium and vitamins, among other nutrients, they have great health benefits: they are easy to assimilate , they favor the purification of the body, they have a satiating effect, they regulate intestinal transit …
Soy is one of the most important sources of high-quality protein. Its consumption in the form of a vegetarian burger ingredient has great health benefits.
On the one hand, it significantly reduces cholesterol levels, while lowering blood pressure. On the other hand, it prevents bone loss in elderly people . And finally, it minimizes the risk of suffering certain cardiovascular diseases such as myocardial infarction .
Seitan is a food that is prepared based on wheat gluten; It is popularly known as “vegetable meat,” so it is one of the favorite ingredients for making veggie burgers.
It is very rich in protein and low in fat and carbohydrates . Its content in minerals such as sodium, calcium and potassium stands out . One of its main benefits is that it is easy to digest. In addition, it has a very low calorie content .
Rice is one of the most consumed cereals in the world for many reasons: it offers a wide range of ways to prepare it, it is very beneficial for health and it tastes delicious.
Rice is a great source of energy thanks to its content of vitamins and minerals, which increase the functioning and metabolic activity of the body. In addition, it helps control blood pressure and protects the skin thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Carrots are a great ingredient for making homemade veggie burgers . It is a highly recommended food for those who suffer from a digestive disorder because it helps fight constipation thanks to its high fiber content .
Eggplant has three great properties: it is antioxidant, diuretic and purifying . In addition, this food has a high water content, so that its caloric intake is minimal.
Its purifying effect notably stimulates the proper functioning of the liver, facilitating the work of the gallbladder. Other of the great benefits of eggplant is that it promotes circulation, helps eliminate fat and reduces cholesterol levels .
Lentils are very rich in fiber, so they help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. In addition, its high content of B vitamins and minerals such as zinc or selenium provide antioxidant properties.
One of its main properties is that it is a very rich source of iron , which is why it is recommended to consume it regularly to prevent anemia.
The health benefits of chickpeas are very broad: they strengthen the bone system , help reduce cholesterol levels in the body, strengthen the digestive system …
They are very rich in minerals and vitamins , which is why they are considered one of the best natural foods. Among their nutrients, they contain dietary fiber, protein, iron or zinc, among others.
And finally, tofu, a protein made from soybeans. Being a vegetable protein, it somewhat reduces the chances of suffering from certain diseases such as diabetes .
In addition, tofu is very rich in fiber, antioxidants, vitamins of groups B and E , and minerals such as iron, phosphorus and potassium. Therefore, its health benefits are very broad: it helps the correct functioning of memory, reduces hypertension …
The 3 best veggie burger recipes
If you want to encourage yourself to prepare vegetarian burgers at home, here are some of the best recipes.
Oat burger with mushrooms
- 200 grams of oat flakes
- 50 grams of cooked rice
- 5 whole mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 egg yolk
- Bread crumbs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- To begin with the preparation of the recipe, the oat flakes are soaked in a bowl with warm water for five hours to soften them.
- The stem is cut to the mushrooms and they are washed with plenty of cold water to remove any remaining soil they may have. They are chopped and reserved.
- The carrot is cut into thin slices and poached in a saucepan with the garlic clove and a good jet of oil. Then the mushrooms are added and left to brown.
- The next step is to drain the oats well and put them in a bowl. Cooked rice and egg yolk are added. Then the poached mushrooms are added and a tablespoon of breadcrumbs is sprinkled on. Mix the ingredients well and store in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- With the hands greased in oil, the hamburgers are shaped with the dough. Then, they are passed through breadcrumbs and fried in the pan.
Bell pepper and eggplant burger
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 aubergine
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 eggs
- Bread crumbs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- First the peppers and aubergines are washed. Then the onion is peeled.
- The vegetables are placed on the oven tray and baked at 220º for 40 minutes. Once the time has elapsed, they are removed and allowed to cool.
- Once the peppers and aubergines are cold, they are peeled and left for a few minutes to release the water. Then they are cut into small pieces and put in a bowl.
- Add the finely chopped garlic clove to the bowl along with the two whole eggs and salt to taste. all the ingredients are mixed.
- The breadcrumbs are then added to create a consistent dough. When it is ready, put virgin olive oil in a frying pan and with a tablespoon add part of the preparation; then it is given the rounded shape while it is frying.
Cauliflower and spinach burger
- 1 cauliflower
- 200 grams of spinach
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon of grated cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- First the cauliflower and spinach are chopped. Then, they are put in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- Then the egg, breadcrumbs and grated cheese are added so that the pasta takes the right texture to form the burger.
- With the hob greased with oil, the hamburgers are formed, until the desired shape is obtained. To make the recipe as healthy as possible, they can be baked at 180º for 10 minutes; then they are turned over, another 10 minutes, and voila.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.