The meat is an essential food in a healthy and balanced diet thanks to its wide range of properties; It is very rich in high quality proteins and has a high content of vitamins and minerals essential for the proper functioning of the body.
We can differentiate two types of meat: white and red. White meat has a very low fat content, so it can be consumed three to four times a week. Meanwhile, red meat is much richer in saturated fat, so its recommended consumption is no more than once a week.
What are white meat?
Those that are considered white meats are chicken, turkey and rabbit ; also lamb and pork in certain circumstances. On the one hand, the lamb is considered as such when it is a young animal, that is, suckling lamb. And, on the other hand, the pork only when the meat comes from the carcass, like the loin.
The main characteristic that defines white meat is that its fat content is practically zero; it barely contains less than 10% fat for every 100 grams of meat. In addition, they are a source of extraordinary proteins, essential for the supply of amino acids that help in the development of body tissues.
In addition to protein, white meat is rich in B vitamins , which are essential to protect and maintain the nervous system . They also contain certain key minerals for the proper functioning of the body, such as iron, phosphorus and zinc.
The Spanish Society of Community Nutrition recommends taking between three and four servings of white meat a week. The healthiest thing is to prepare it steamed or grilled.
What are the benefits of white meat?
White meat offers a great selection of benefits for both physical and mental health.
This type of meat is very rich in zinc , a mineral that helps the body better assimilate insulin. In addition, zinc strengthens the immune system while helping wound healing.
White meats are very low in saturated fat , so they help reduce the chances of suffering from cardiovascular diseases, such as myocardial infarction , among others.
This type of meat stands out especially for its high content of B vitamins , especially B1, B3 and B12. Vitamin B12 is essential for the proper functioning of the body as it is involved in the production of red blood cells, which are responsible for transporting oxygen to the blood.
One of the great benefits of white meat is the strengthening of muscle mass , very important especially for children of growing age, as well as pregnant women and athletes. The proteins contained in this type of meat are of very good quality since they contain a high number of essential amino acids.
White meat is one of the foods with the highest amount of iron. Indispensable to transport oxygen to the body . Low levels of iron in the body lead to anemia; a condition whose main symptoms are tiredness, fatigue, difficulty concentrating and greater vulnerability to certain diseases. Anemia is precisely one of the most common diseases both among the elderly and among children.
Differences between white and red meats
This is one of the most common questions in society, especially in relation to the nutritional properties of white and red meat.
Well, the truth is that red meat is much tastier than white ; Its flavor is generally more intense and, in addition, it contains a high amount of iron, making it a highly recommended food for those who suffer from anemia.
However, red meat contains purines ; in small quantities they do not cause any type of damage to health. However, if red meat is consumed in abundance, purines can increase the amount of uric acid present in the body, causing problems such as gout .
In addition, this type of meat is much richer in fat than white. Therefore, abusing them implies an increase in bad cholesterol, thus increasing the chances of suffering from certain cardiovascular diseases, such as myocardial infarction.
White meat has a type of protein of higher biological value . In addition, their saturated fat content is practically zero, so they are the best option for those who have high cholesterol. They also have another advantage over red meat: their digestion is better.
The best white meat recipes
Here we show you some delicious white meat recipes.
- 1 chicken
- 4 lemons
- Season the chicken both inside and out.
- Cut two slices into thin slices, unpeeled, and cover the inside of the chicken.
- Grate and reserve the rinds of the other two lemons, cut the pulp into small pieces and add to the chicken.
- Grease a baking dish with a little oil, add a couple of tablespoons of water and place the chicken.
- Place in the oven preheated to 180ºC.
- After 20 minutes of cooking add the grated lemon peel in the chicken juice and finish cooking until tender.
- To serve.
Chicken with fruits
- 1 chicken
- 100 grams of butter
- 1 can of pineapple in syrup
- 50 grams of almonds
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon
- Clean, empty, wash and dry the chicken very well.
- Next, salt and pepper on the outside and inside, and put it in a baking dish along with 60 grams of butter.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the lemon and an orange.
- Bake in the oven at 180ºC for one hour.
- Once the time has elapsed, remove and place in a source to decorate with the fruits.
- Cut the peeled almonds into thin slices and brown them. Place them on the chicken and serve very hot.
Roast chicken with pineapple
- 1 chicken
- 1 can of pineapple of 1/2 kilo
- 3 medium onions
- 6 small tomatoes
- 2 glasses of white wine
- Clean the chicken, season it inside and out with salt and fill it with two slices of pineapple.
- Close the opening with a toothpick.
- Place the chicken in a bowl along with the omates, the previously chopped onion and three pineapple slices.
- Drizzle a drizzle of oil, the pineapple game and the wine.
- Bake in medium oven for 40 minutes, until chicken is tender.
- Serve carved.
Honey Glazed Steamed Turkey Breast
- 500 grams of turkey breast
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 butter spoons
- 2 teaspoon English mustard
- 2 glasses of sherry
- Bring salted water and a glass of sherry to a boil in the steamer; steam the seasoned turkey breasts for half an hour.
- Peel and dice the onion and carrot; add them to the breasts and cook for about 10 minutes; remove.
- Mix the skin with the mustard; add the breasts and vegetables and mix. Let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan; Add the rest of the sherry and bring to a boil to reduce a little.
- Add the broth and the vegetables, without the palvo, and reduce by half.
- Pass the sauce through a sieve and place in a sauce boat.
- Carve the breasts and serve with the sauce.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.