Stains on teeth are common in both children and adults. If you wonder how to whiten your teeth at home , the truth is that there are many home remedies that can be of great help. They are very effective solutions, made with natural ingredients, and that eliminate stains on the teeth.
It is important to note that there are certain foods that can cause teeth to lose their natural white color over time, and turn yellow. In addition, there are other reasons why unsightly stains appear , such as tobacco, coffee consumption and poor oral hygiene.
Stains on teeth: causes and types
Stains on teeth can be very different, depending on their shape, color and thickness. The most common are known as extrinsic stains . They are those located on the surface of the teeth and arise in the vast majority of cases due to the accumulation of bacteria or food debris.
There are also so-called intrinsic stains , which are located in enamel or dentin. They arise as a consequence of a certain problem in the structure of the tooth, as well as due to the consumption of some medications.
When it comes to whitening your teeth at home , it is easier to do it with extrinsic stains.
Why teeth become stained?
- Food: There are certain foods that can cause staining of the teeth, such as those with dyes or green leafy vegetables. It is not about eliminating them completely from the diet, but about consuming them in moderation and brushing your teeth after eating them.
- Drinks: in the same way that there are some foods that stain the teeth, there are also certain drinks such as wine, tea or soft drinks that do.
- Tobacco: tobacco contains nicotine, a substance that is very harmful to the health of the teeth.
- Bruxism : the habit of clenching the jaw unconsciously is called bruxism. If this is repeated over time, it ends up wearing the enamel of the teeth.
- Rinses: proper oral hygiene is essential to take care of the health of the mouth. However, it is essential to choose quality products. In the case of mouthwashes, some contain chlorhexidine. This is a substance that acts effectively against bacteria, but can stain teeth if its use is continued.
Color of stains on teeth
When stains appear on the teeth, it is important to pay special attention to their color. Depending on it, the causes may be one or the other.
- White: when the stains that appear on the teeth are white, in many cases they are due to poor oral hygiene: the accumulation of bacterial plaque has been able to cause tooth decay.
- Yellow: yellow spots are the most common of all, especially in adults. Its origin is in the proliferation of microorganisms and bacteria in the mouth.
- Brown: brown spots are caused by consuming certain foods or beverages. It is important to brush your teeth immediately after consumption to eliminate them.
- Black: these types of spots are small in size and appear due to diseases such as periodonditis or due to the consumption of iron-rich medications to treat anemia.
- Green: in the same way that it happens with white spots, those that are green are due to the accumulation of fungi and bacteria in the area where the gum begins.
- Gray: gray spots on teeth are not very common, although they can occur. In the vast majority of cases they arise as a result of a blow or trauma.
The best home remedies to whiten teeth at home
The activated carbon is a product with large teeth whitening properties. You can get it in pharmacies or establishments of natural products. Using it is very simple since you only have to brush your teeth with the active carbon powder. Then let it sit for a few minutes and rinse your mouth. To finish, brush as you normally do.
Baking soda and ginger
With bicarbonate and ginger as the main ingredients, you can create a very effective tooth whitening paste at home, quickly and easily. It has exfoliating properties , helping to remove tartar particles. It is advisable to apply this homemade solution 1 or 2 times a week.
The ingredients to use are: 2 teaspoons of baking soda , 1/4 teaspoon of powdered ginger and 2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil . Mix all the ingredients and store the pasta in an airtight glass container. When applying it, place the toothpaste as you normally do, and, on it, the solution.
Apple cider vinegar and water
Apple cider vinegar is a very effective ingredient for whitening teeth at home. Of course, you must use it carefully because it contains acids that can remove enamel from teeth.
To apply this remedy you have to brush your teeth with a brush soaked in apple cider vinegar . Then brush them again with a fluoride-free toothpaste. And, to finish, rinse with plenty of warm water to remove any possible residue that may have remained.
If you want to show off a beautiful and bright smile , strawberries can be your great allies. You just have to crush a handful of strawberries with a fork and apply the paste on the teeth. You can improve the results by mixing the strawberries with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
Baking soda and lemon juice
This is a remedy that you should only apply if you have very yellow teeth or the stains are very visible. Remember that long-term baking soda can damage enamel, so this homemade solution is recommended for a specific moment.
Prepare a mixture with the juice of 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon of baking soda. When you have the paste ready, you have to apply it directly on the teeth. Let it act for a few minutes, and rinse with warm water .
You can also use hydrogen peroxide to whiten your teeth , although this is not a recommended remedy if you have sensitive gums or teeth. For its application you must soak a piece of cotton in hydrogen peroxide and rub it on the teeth. It is an essential solution, which you should not use in the long term because it can damage the enamel.
This is one of the most effective and popular teeth whitening remedies of all. The coconut oil is a natural ingredient with anti – microbial properties, which helps remove plaque and health care gum.
You just have to put 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in your mouth. Let it melt and rinse your mouth with warm water for 2-3 minutes. To finish, remove the excess and brush your teeth as you normally do.
Strawberries and salt
This is a natural exfoliant with a high content of vitamin C and a very effective acid to eliminate dental plaque and dark spots. A great remedy for teeth whitening at home.
The ingredients for this home remedy are very simple: 2 strawberries, 1 pinch of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. To prepare it, the first thing is to mash the strawberries with a fork until obtaining a homogeneous paste .
Then, add the rest of the ingredients and mix very well. Place the mixture on the toothbrush and apply on the teeth. Let it act for 5 minutes and rinse with plenty of warm water.
The sage is a plant with which you can prepare a home teeth whitening remedy. The first thing is to prepare an infusion with the sage leaves. When you have it ready, you just have to use it as a rinse after brushing your teeth as you normally do. You can also rub the leaves on the teeth directly.
Salt and lemon
This is a home remedy that you can do a couple of times a week. Its preparation is very simple. You only have to squeeze 4 lemons to extract its game. Then add 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt to it. Rinse your mouth with the mixture for 3 minutes.
Basil is a natural ingredient widely used in cooking. But it can also help you keep bad breath at bay, take care of your gums and whiten your teeth. This remedy is very easy to apply: you just have to chew a leaf of this plant every night, just before going to bed.
The aloe vera is one of the natural ingredients most used around the world thanks to its wide range of properties and health benefits. It is a very effective solution to eliminate stains on the teeth. In addition, it eliminates the bacteria that are in the mouth and takes care of the health of the gums.
Get an aloe vera pod , open it with a knife and extract the gel that is inside. You must apply it on the teeth with a brush. Then rinse your mouth with plenty of warm water and brush your teeth as you normally do.
One of the great advantages that banana peel offers compared to other home remedies is that it is not an abrasive ingredient, so it does not damage the enamel in the least. You just have to rub the inside of your teeth after brushing your teeth. You will see how in just a few days your teeth are whiter.
The parsley is another of the natural ingredients that can help you say goodbye to stains from your teeth once and for all. To prepare the solution you have to boil a handful of parsley branches with a couple of cloves in 2 cups of water.
When you have the infusion ready, let it cool and strain it. You have to use it as a mouthwash after brushing your teeth.
Teeth whitening treatments
There are some cases where whitening teeth whitening at home is not possible. This happens especially when the stains have been there for a long time and removing them is difficult. If this is your case, you should go to a dental clinic to choose the best treatment.
- LED whitening: this is one of the most demanded treatments today. It involves applying a peroxide whitening gel, which is activated by LED light. The results are instantaneous, which is a huge plus. The number of sessions depends on the tone of your teeth.
- Splints: Splints allow you to whiten your teeth at home. You should place a whitening gel on them and wear them for about four hours a day. Splints are usually put in at night. This treatment lasts approximately two weeks.
- Dental veneers: and finally, dental veneers, a type of permanent teeth whitening. Veneers are made of thin porcelain sheets and are placed on the outside of the teeth. Thus, in addition to achieving the desired tooth tone, you can also correct imperfections such as the irregular shape of a tooth.
Foods to take care of the color of the teeth
The dairy foods are well known for their high content of calcium, an essential nutrient for healthy teeth. It is important to choose dairy foods that are low in sugar to avoid diseases such as cavities.
Oranges and apples
Among the different fruits that exist, apples and oranges are the ones that take care of the health of the teeth the most. On the one hand, they promote salivation , which is of great help to prevent plaque from accumulating on the teeth. On the other hand, biting apples has a similar effect to brushing, although it should never be substituted for brushing your teeth.
In addition, oranges are very rich in calcium, so they strengthen teeth. And its acid allows to fight effectively the bacteria present in the mouth.
Tea contains a substance called polyphenols , which slows the growth of bacterial flora on the gums and teeth. Thus, black or green tea are excellent for caring for the health and color of teeth.
Tips to take care of the health of the teeth
To take care of the health of the teeth , and of the mouth in general, it is very important to choose the right toothbrush. Ideally, the head should be small in order to reach hard-to-reach areas easily. The bristles must be soft so as not to damage the teeth and gums.
In addition, for its comfortable and easy handling , it is important to choose a toothbrush whose handle is non-slip.
Just as it is important to find the right toothbrush, it is essential to use the correct toothpaste . There are hundreds of different models on the market: against tooth decay, sensitivity, to improve breath …
Experts point out that you have to choose a paste whose formulation is at least 1,000 parts per million of fluoride.
Mouthwash and dental hilum
Carrying out mouthwashes with a good mouthwash is essential after brushing. It is a liquid solution that generally contains the same active ingredients as toothpaste, but in lower concentrations.
There are numerous types of mouthwashes on the market, some of them with specific actions. For example, anti-stain mouthwashes remove stains from the surface of teeth, and also prevent their formation in the future. Or anti-tartar colourets, formulated to prevent the formation of tartar on teeth.
As for dental floss , it is also very important in daily oral hygiene. Removes plaque and food debris from between teeth. Thus, it is of great help to control bad breath and avoid diseases such as tooth decay.
There is no doubt that a smile is the best letter of introduction of a person. Thus, it is not only necessary to have perfectly aligned teeth, but also to whiten teeth at home to remove stains.
Hello Readers, I am Nikki Bella a Psychology student. I have always been concerned about human behavior and the mental processes that lead us to act and think the way we do. My collaboration as an editor in the psychology area of Well Being Pole has allowed me to investigate further and expand my knowledge in the field of mental health; I have also acquired great knowledge about physical health and well-being, two fundamental bases that are directly related and are part of all mental health.